linux-spi.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Absolutely necessary to have cheap lumber, coal and iron. Bu
@ 2009-09-01 21:57 Linney
From: Linney @ 2009-09-01 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spi-devel-general-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Tion by 1920 will amount to 580,000 tons, or more than a billion pounds.
The principal lead-producing states are Missouri, Idaho, Utah, and
Colorado. In Missouri it is probable that the present rate of increase
could be kept up for at least fifty years. The other states could keep
up the present production for many years but could not greatly increase
it without exhausting the supply. As with most mineral resources in the
United States, it is only the richest ores that are now drawn upon
(except where lead is a by-product extracted with some other ore). If
prices would advance, so as to make the low-grade ores profitable, the
amount of our resources would be greatly increased. There is little
waste in the mining or smelting of lead ores, and the slag, the waste,
is always ready to be used again. In the refining and concentrating of
lead the loss often amounts to as much as fifteen per cent. or twenty
per cent. The best way to prevent final loss is to store all refuse
until such time as the reworking becomes profitable. Improvement in
methods has been great in the last fifteen years but more economical
methods everywhere will be one of the necessities of the future. We can
see that the lead resources of the United States are not large and that
when our own supply is exhausted we can not turn to the rest of the
world. The waste in mining is not large, and most of it can not be
avoided at present prices; so that for the conservation, which we see is
so important, we must turn to the uses of lead. The most necessary of
these is for lead pi