On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 04:57:32PM +0100, Andre Przywara wrote: > On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 19:56:24 +0530 > Jagan Teki wrote: > > Hi Jagan, > > thanks for the response! > > > On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 4:53 AM Andre Przywara wrote: > > > > > > The ums command (presenting a U-Boot block device as a USB mass storage > > > device) is very useful for accessing eMMC devices via USB-OTG. > > > > > > At the moment we enable USB fastboot by default for Allwinner devices, > > > so it makes sense to do the same with USB mass storage, which is > > > actually more versatile and can be accessed on any USB host easily. > > > > > > Signed-off-by: Andre Przywara > > > --- > > > cmd/Kconfig | 1 + > > > 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+) > > > > > > diff --git a/cmd/Kconfig b/cmd/Kconfig > > > index a9fb4eead29..7b1c96910a8 100644 > > > --- a/cmd/Kconfig > > > +++ b/cmd/Kconfig > > > @@ -1347,6 +1347,7 @@ config CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE > > > bool "UMS usb mass storage" > > > select USB_FUNCTION_MASS_STORAGE > > > depends on BLK && USB_GADGET > > > + default y if ARCH_SUNXI && USB_MUSB_GADGET > > > > UMS or any secondary-emmc accessible are considered in production > > u-boot config instead of mainline u-boot since we have fastboot > > already available for this kind of purpose. This might be one of the > > reason not conisidered UMS by default till now, atleast on Allwinner. > > Well, I consider fastboot inferior to UMS. I understand that > Android phone hackers use it all the time, but I think having a block > device is far more versatile - you can partition it as you like, create > and populate a filesystem, dd an image to it, extract or update > firmware, etc. - most without extra software, even on Windows or Mac. > I think fastboot offers a reboot command, but are there other killer > reasons for it? And having the ums command in addition to fastboot does > not hurt, both would still work. fastboot abstracts away the storage medium, whereas UMS doesn't. You cannot run UMS on a NAND or SPI-NOR, while this causes no issue at all to fastboot. Similarly, UMS exposes the whole partition to the host. You then need to have a driver for that FS on that machine, otherwise you just can't access it. Sure, it's convenient, but it's far from being ubiquitous and the silver bullet you claim it is. > So are there any real arguments for not adding ums as well? I am not > sure many people tweak their config, so I would like to offer a decent > out-of-the-box experience, even for casual users. As usual, we also have to balance that with the size limit, but I'm not sure it's an issue these days? Maxime