linux-toolchains.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org>
To: David Laight <David.Laight@aculab.com>
Cc: "linux-toolchains@vger.kernel.org"
	<linux-toolchains@vger.kernel.org>, Will Deacon <will@kernel.org>,
	Paul McKenney <paulmck@kernel.org>,
	"linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	"stern@rowland.harvard.edu" <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>,
	"parri.andrea@gmail.com" <parri.andrea@gmail.com>,
	"boqun.feng@gmail.com" <boqun.feng@gmail.com>,
	"npiggin@gmail.com" <npiggin@gmail.com>,
	"dhowells@redhat.com" <dhowells@redhat.com>,
	"j.alglave@ucl.ac.uk" <j.alglave@ucl.ac.uk>,
	"luc.maranget@inria.fr" <luc.maranget@inria.fr>,
	"akiyks@gmail.com" <akiyks@gmail.com>,
	"dlustig@nvidia.com" <dlustig@nvidia.com>,
	"joel@joelfernandes.org" <joel@joelfernandes.org>,
	"torvalds@linux-foundation.org" <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Subject: Re: Control Dependencies vs C Compilers
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 15:31:15 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Oct 06, 2020 at 12:37:06PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> [...]

The compiler can still try and lift the store out of the block, possibly
by inventing more stores.

Please go read memory-barriers.txt for a bunch of other examples.

This thread is not to collect work-arounds that might convince a
compiler to emit the desired code as a side effect, but to get the
compiler people involved and get control-dependencies recognised such
that correct code gen is guaranteed.

Only if we get the compiler people on board and have them provide means
are we guaranteed safe from the optimizer. Otherwise we'll just keep
playing whack-a-mole with fancy new optimization techniques. And given
how horridly painful it is to debug memory ordering problems, I feel it
is best to make sure we're not going to have to more than necessary.