Linux-Trace-Devel Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* Documentation/trace/events.rst: wrong numbering of sections
@ 2020-05-15  7:43 Li Xinhai
  2020-05-15 13:11 ` Steven Rostedt
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Li Xinhai @ 2020-05-15  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-trace-devel; +Cc: linux-kernel

This document has below numbering of its sections:

1. Introduction
2. Using Event Tracing
2.1 Via the 'set_event' interface
2.2 Via the 'enable' toggle
2.3 Boot option
3. Defining an event-enabled tracepoint
4. Event formats
5. Event filtering
5.1 Expression syntax
5.2 Setting filters
5.3 Clearing filters
5.3 Subsystem filters
5.4 PID filtering
6. Event triggers
6.1 Expression syntax
6.2 Supported trigger commands
6.3 In-kernel trace event API
6.3.1 Dyamically creating synthetic event definitions
6.3.3 Tracing synthetic events from in-kernel code
6.3.3.1 Tracing a synthetic event all at once
6.3.3.1 Tracing a synthetic event piecewise
6.3.4 Dyamically creating kprobe and kretprobe event definitions
6.3.4 The "dynevent_cmd" low-level API

It seems wrong numbering within 6.3 section. 
or, would it be better to have separated chapter #7, for 'In-kernel trace
event API'? it seems not belong to 'Event triggers'.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Documentation/trace/events.rst: wrong numbering of sections
  2020-05-15  7:43 Documentation/trace/events.rst: wrong numbering of sections Li Xinhai
@ 2020-05-15 13:11 ` Steven Rostedt
  2020-05-15 18:22   ` Tom Zanussi
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2020-05-15 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Xinhai
  Cc: linux-trace-devel, linux-kernel, Jonathan Corbet,
	Theodore Ts'o, Tom Zanussi


It's best to Cc the maintainers of the file. Nobody reads linux-kernel (it
produces 800 emails a day!). Luckily, I happen to monitor the
linux-trace-devel list (which is mostly for userland tools), otherwise this
email would have been lost to the LKML abyss.

On Fri, 15 May 2020 15:43:43 +0800
"Li Xinhai" <lixinhai.lxh@gmail.com> wrote:

> This document has below numbering of its sections:
> 
> 1. Introduction
> 2. Using Event Tracing
> 2.1 Via the 'set_event' interface
> 2.2 Via the 'enable' toggle
> 2.3 Boot option
> 3. Defining an event-enabled tracepoint
> 4. Event formats
> 5. Event filtering
> 5.1 Expression syntax
> 5.2 Setting filters
> 5.3 Clearing filters
> 5.3 Subsystem filters
> 5.4 PID filtering
> 6. Event triggers
> 6.1 Expression syntax
> 6.2 Supported trigger commands
> 6.3 In-kernel trace event API
> 6.3.1 Dyamically creating synthetic event definitions
> 6.3.3 Tracing synthetic events from in-kernel code
> 6.3.3.1 Tracing a synthetic event all at once
> 6.3.3.1 Tracing a synthetic event piecewise
> 6.3.4 Dyamically creating kprobe and kretprobe event definitions
> 6.3.4 The "dynevent_cmd" low-level API
> 
> It seems wrong numbering within 6.3 section. 
> or, would it be better to have separated chapter #7, for 'In-kernel trace
> event API'? it seems not belong to 'Event triggers'.

Yeah, 6.3.4 (both of them) probably should have been under a new top level
section. (#7).

-- Steve

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Documentation/trace/events.rst: wrong numbering of sections
  2020-05-15 13:11 ` Steven Rostedt
@ 2020-05-15 18:22   ` Tom Zanussi
  2020-05-18  2:50     ` Li Xinhai
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Tom Zanussi @ 2020-05-15 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt, Li Xinhai
  Cc: linux-trace-devel, linux-kernel, Jonathan Corbet, Theodore Ts'o

Hi,

On Fri, 2020-05-15 at 09:11 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> It's best to Cc the maintainers of the file. Nobody reads linux-
> kernel (it
> produces 800 emails a day!). Luckily, I happen to monitor the
> linux-trace-devel list (which is mostly for userland tools),
> otherwise this
> email would have been lost to the LKML abyss.
> 
> On Fri, 15 May 2020 15:43:43 +0800
> "Li Xinhai" <lixinhai.lxh@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> > This document has below numbering of its sections:
> > 
> > 1. Introduction
> > 2. Using Event Tracing
> > 2.1 Via the 'set_event' interface
> > 2.2 Via the 'enable' toggle
> > 2.3 Boot option
> > 3. Defining an event-enabled tracepoint
> > 4. Event formats
> > 5. Event filtering
> > 5.1 Expression syntax
> > 5.2 Setting filters
> > 5.3 Clearing filters
> > 5.3 Subsystem filters
> > 5.4 PID filtering
> > 6. Event triggers
> > 6.1 Expression syntax
> > 6.2 Supported trigger commands
> > 6.3 In-kernel trace event API
> > 6.3.1 Dyamically creating synthetic event definitions
> > 6.3.3 Tracing synthetic events from in-kernel code
> > 6.3.3.1 Tracing a synthetic event all at once
> > 6.3.3.1 Tracing a synthetic event piecewise
> > 6.3.4 Dyamically creating kprobe and kretprobe event definitions
> > 6.3.4 The "dynevent_cmd" low-level API
> > 
> > It seems wrong numbering within 6.3 section. 
> > or, would it be better to have separated chapter #7, for 'In-kernel 
> > trace
> > event API'? it seems not belong to 'Event triggers'.
> 
> Yeah, 6.3.4 (both of them) probably should have been under a new top
> level
> section. (#7).
> 

Yeah, aside from duplicate numbering in a couple of places, it would
make more sense for everything starting from '6.3 In-kernel trace event
API' to be in a section 7.

Would you like to submit a patch for that, Li, or should I?

Thanks,

Tom

> -- Steve


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Documentation/trace/events.rst: wrong numbering of sections
  2020-05-15 18:22   ` Tom Zanussi
@ 2020-05-18  2:50     ` Li Xinhai
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Li Xinhai @ 2020-05-18  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Zanussi
  Cc: linux-trace-devel, linux-kernel, Jonathan Corbet,
	Theodore Ts'o, Steven Rostedt

>Hi,
>
>On Fri, 2020-05-15 at 09:11 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
>> It's best to Cc the maintainers of the file. Nobody reads linux-
>> kernel (it
>> produces 800 emails a day!). Luckily, I happen to monitor the
>> linux-trace-devel list (which is mostly for userland tools),
>> otherwise this
>> email would have been lost to the LKML abyss.
>>
>> On Fri, 15 May 2020 15:43:43 +0800
>> "Li Xinhai" <lixinhai.lxh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > This document has below numbering of its sections:
>> >
>> > 1. Introduction
>> > 2. Using Event Tracing
>> > 2.1 Via the 'set_event' interface
>> > 2.2 Via the 'enable' toggle
>> > 2.3 Boot option
>> > 3. Defining an event-enabled tracepoint
>> > 4. Event formats
>> > 5. Event filtering
>> > 5.1 Expression syntax
>> > 5.2 Setting filters
>> > 5.3 Clearing filters
>> > 5.3 Subsystem filters
>> > 5.4 PID filtering
>> > 6. Event triggers
>> > 6.1 Expression syntax
>> > 6.2 Supported trigger commands
>> > 6.3 In-kernel trace event API
>> > 6.3.1 Dyamically creating synthetic event definitions
>> > 6.3.3 Tracing synthetic events from in-kernel code
>> > 6.3.3.1 Tracing a synthetic event all at once
>> > 6.3.3.1 Tracing a synthetic event piecewise
>> > 6.3.4 Dyamically creating kprobe and kretprobe event definitions
>> > 6.3.4 The "dynevent_cmd" low-level API
>> >
>> > It seems wrong numbering within 6.3 section.
>> > or, would it be better to have separated chapter #7, for 'In-kernel
>> > trace
>> > event API'? it seems not belong to 'Event triggers'.
>>
>> Yeah, 6.3.4 (both of them) probably should have been under a new top
>> level
>> section. (#7).
>>
>
>Yeah, aside from duplicate numbering in a couple of places, it would
>make more sense for everything starting from '6.3 In-kernel trace event
>API' to be in a section 7.
>
>Would you like to submit a patch for that, Li, or should I?
> 
I am not sure the correct organization of these part, you maybe better to fix it, thanks.

>Thanks,
>
>Tom
>
>> -- Steve
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-05-15  7:43 Documentation/trace/events.rst: wrong numbering of sections Li Xinhai
2020-05-15 13:11 ` Steven Rostedt
2020-05-15 18:22   ` Tom Zanussi
2020-05-18  2:50     ` Li Xinhai

Linux-Trace-Devel Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/linux-trace-devel/0 linux-trace-devel/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 linux-trace-devel linux-trace-devel/ https://lore.kernel.org/linux-trace-devel \
		linux-trace-devel@vger.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index linux-trace-devel

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.linux-trace-devel


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git