linux-trace-devel.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Co-existing of traceevent of trace-cmd and perf
@ 2020-09-29 13:44 Zamir SUN
From: Zamir SUN @ 2020-09-29 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-trace-devel; +Cc: tstoyanov, Jiri Olsa, zsun

Hi,

I'm packaging trace-cmd 2.9 into Fedora.

Back in trace-cmd 2.8, all the plugins are under
$(libdir)/trace-cmd/plugins. While as of trace-cmd 2.9, I find the
traceevent plugins are installed in $(libdir) by default. This brings up
an interesting situation - the perf tool also contains a copy of the
traceevent in the same directory. So this means trace-cmd and perf have
file conflicts. In terms of packaging, this means users can only install
one of them, not in parallel (at least for Fedora). So I'd like to see
if there are existing proposals or suggestions for which one is expected
to be used by other utilities? Or is there any official plan to move one
of them to the other directory?

I'm copying Tzvetomir and Jiri as I think you're the first people for
getting the plugins in this directory for trace-cmd and perf respectively.

Thanks in advance.

--
Zamir SUN
Fedora user

* Re: Co-existing of traceevent of trace-cmd and perf
@ 2020-09-29 14:16 ` Zamir SUN
From: Zamir SUN @ 2020-09-29 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-trace-devel; +Cc: tstoyanov, Jiri Olsa, zsun

On 9/29/20 9:44 PM, Zamir SUN wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm packaging trace-cmd 2.9 into Fedora.
>
> Back in trace-cmd 2.8, all the plugins are under
> $(libdir)/trace-cmd/plugins. While as of trace-cmd 2.9, I find the
> traceevent plugins are installed in $(libdir) by default. This brings up
> an interesting situation - the perf tool also contains a copy of the
> traceevent in the same directory. So this means trace-cmd and perf have
> file conflicts. In terms of packaging, this means users can only install
> one of them, not in parallel (at least for Fedora). So I'd like to see
> if there are existing proposals or suggestions for which one is expected
> to be used by other utilities? Or is there any official plan to move one
> of them to the other directory?
>
> I'm copying Tzvetomir and Jiri as I think you're the first people for
> getting the plugins in this directory for trace-cmd and perf respectively.

Sorry, I just saw an email from Steven mentioning there will be a stand
alone libtraceevent. However I did not find it in git.kernel.org. So I
probably should ask if the stand alone version of libtraceevent is ready
now?

Thanks.

--

@ 2020-09-29 15:18   ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2020-09-29 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zamir SUN; +Cc: linux-trace-devel, tstoyanov, Jiri Olsa, zsun

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 22:16:33 +0800
Zamir SUN <sztsian@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/29/20 9:44 PM, Zamir SUN wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm packaging trace-cmd 2.9 into Fedora.
> >
> > Back in trace-cmd 2.8, all the plugins are under
> > $(libdir)/trace-cmd/plugins. While as of trace-cmd 2.9, I find the
> > traceevent plugins are installed in $(libdir) by default. This brings up
> > an interesting situation - the perf tool also contains a copy of the
> > traceevent in the same directory. So this means trace-cmd and perf have
> > file conflicts. In terms of packaging, this means users can only install
> > one of them, not in parallel (at least for Fedora). So I'd like to see
> > if there are existing proposals or suggestions for which one is expected
> > to be used by other utilities? Or is there any official plan to move one
> > of them to the other directory?
> >
> > I'm copying Tzvetomir and Jiri as I think you're the first people for
> > getting the plugins in this directory for trace-cmd and perf respectively.
> >

> Sorry, I just saw an email from Steven mentioning there will be a stand
> alone libtraceevent. However I did not find it in git.kernel.org. So I
> probably should ask if the stand alone version of libtraceevent is ready
> now?

No but this gives me incentive to make it so very soon!

-- Steve

* Re: Co-existing of traceevent of trace-cmd and perf
@ 2020-09-30 17:21   ` Vitaly Chikunov
From: Vitaly Chikunov @ 2020-09-30 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zamir SUN; +Cc: linux-trace-devel, tstoyanov, Jiri Olsa, zsun

Zamir, Steven,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 10:16:33PM +0800, Zamir SUN wrote:
> On 9/29/20 9:44 PM, Zamir SUN wrote:
> > I'm packaging trace-cmd 2.9 into Fedora.
> >
> > Back in trace-cmd 2.8, all the plugins are under
> > $(libdir)/trace-cmd/plugins. While as of trace-cmd 2.9, I find the
> > traceevent plugins are installed in $(libdir) by default. This brings up
> > an interesting situation - the perf tool also contains a copy of the
> > traceevent in the same directory. So this means trace-cmd and perf have
> > file conflicts. In terms of packaging, this means users can only install
> > one of them, not in parallel (at least for Fedora). So I'd like to see
> > if there are existing proposals or suggestions for which one is expected
> > to be used by other utilities? Or is there any official plan to move one
> > of them to the other directory?
> >
> > I'm copying Tzvetomir and Jiri as I think you're the first people for
> > getting the plugins in this directory for trace-cmd and perf
> > respectively.
> >

> Sorry, I just saw an email from Steven mentioning there will be a stand
> alone libtraceevent. However I did not find it in git.kernel.org. So I
> probably should ask if the stand alone version of libtraceevent is ready
> now?

In anticipation of this change I temporary packaged (for ALT) traceevent
into %_libdir while keeping traceevent form perf in %_libexecdir (for a
backward compatibility).

Thanks,

@ 2020-10-04  7:07     ` Zamir SUN
From: Zamir SUN @ 2020-10-04  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: linux-trace-devel, tstoyanov, Jiri Olsa, zsun

On 9/29/20 11:18 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 22:16:33 +0800
> Zamir SUN <sztsian@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/29/20 9:44 PM, Zamir SUN wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm packaging trace-cmd 2.9 into Fedora.
>>>
>>> Back in trace-cmd 2.8, all the plugins are under
>>> $(libdir)/trace-cmd/plugins. While as of trace-cmd 2.9, I find the
>>> traceevent plugins are installed in $(libdir) by default. This brings up
>>> an interesting situation - the perf tool also contains a copy of the
>>> traceevent in the same directory. So this means trace-cmd and perf have
>>> file conflicts. In terms of packaging, this means users can only install
>>> one of them, not in parallel (at least for Fedora). So I'd like to see
>>> if there are existing proposals or suggestions for which one is expected
>>> to be used by other utilities? Or is there any official plan to move one
>>> of them to the other directory?
>>>
>>> I'm copying Tzvetomir and Jiri as I think you're the first people for
>>> getting the plugins in this directory for trace-cmd and perf respectively.
>>>

>> Sorry, I just saw an email from Steven mentioning there will be a stand
>> alone libtraceevent. However I did not find it in git.kernel.org. So I
>> probably should ask if the stand alone version of libtraceevent is ready
>> now?
>
> No but this gives me incentive to make it so very soon!

Thanks for the info. I'll workaround this in trace-cmd then before it is
ready.

--

@ 2020-10-04  7:09     ` Zamir SUN
From: Zamir SUN @ 2020-10-04  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitaly Chikunov; +Cc: linux-trace-devel, tstoyanov, Jiri Olsa, zsun

On 10/1/20 1:21 AM, Vitaly Chikunov wrote:
> Zamir, Steven,
>
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 10:16:33PM +0800, Zamir SUN wrote:
>> On 9/29/20 9:44 PM, Zamir SUN wrote:
>>> I'm packaging trace-cmd 2.9 into Fedora.
>>>
>>> Back in trace-cmd 2.8, all the plugins are under
>>> $(libdir)/trace-cmd/plugins. While as of trace-cmd 2.9, I find the
>>> traceevent plugins are installed in $(libdir) by default. This brings up
>>> an interesting situation - the perf tool also contains a copy of the
>>> traceevent in the same directory. So this means trace-cmd and perf have
>>> file conflicts. In terms of packaging, this means users can only install
>>> one of them, not in parallel (at least for Fedora). So I'd like to see
>>> if there are existing proposals or suggestions for which one is expected
>>> to be used by other utilities? Or is there any official plan to move one
>>> of them to the other directory?
>>>
>>> I'm copying Tzvetomir and Jiri as I think you're the first people for
>>> getting the plugins in this directory for trace-cmd and perf
>>> respectively.
>>>

>> Sorry, I just saw an email from Steven mentioning there will be a stand
>> alone libtraceevent. However I did not find it in git.kernel.org. So I
>> probably should ask if the stand alone version of libtraceevent is ready
>> now?
>
> In anticipation of this change I temporary packaged (for ALT) traceevent
> into %_libdir while keeping traceevent form perf in %_libexecdir (for a
> backward compatibility).

Hi Vitaly,

Thanks for the details. I will consider applying something similar to
what you did for trace-cmd before the new library is being used by both
in Fedora.