Linux-Trace-Devel Archive on lore.kernel.org
* libtracefs documentation install problem
@ 2020-12-24 16:36 Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2020-12-24 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: Linux Trace Devel

Hi Steve,

I was trying to build and install the documentation. "make doc"
succeeds and builds the man pages and the html files, but when I do
"make install_doc" it fails with:
make -C /home/sudip/libtracefs/Documentation install
Makefile:148: *** "You need to install asciidoc xmlto for man pages".  Stop.
make: *** [Makefile:263: install_doc] Error 2

The packages asciidoc and xmlto are already installed and I guess
thats why it could build. Looking at the Documantion makefile I can
see that install-man is checking for the tools by calling
'get-executable' but I did not see 'get-executable' defined anywhere.
Did I miss something or did you miss copying it from
"tools/scripts/utilities.mak" of the kernel ?

I hope I am not disturbing your holidays. :)

--
Regards
Sudip

* Re: libtracefs documentation install problem
@ 2020-12-24 17:23 ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2020-12-24 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sudip Mukherjee; +Cc: Linux Trace Devel

On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 16:36:56 +0000
Sudip Mukherjee <sudipm.mukherjee@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I was trying to build and install the documentation. "make doc"
> succeeds and builds the man pages and the html files, but when I do
> "make install_doc" it fails with:
> make -C /home/sudip/libtracefs/Documentation install
> Makefile:148: *** "You need to install asciidoc xmlto for man pages".  Stop.
> make: *** [Makefile:263: install_doc] Error 2

Ug, I thought I tested this :-/

> The packages asciidoc and xmlto are already installed and I guess
> thats why it could build. Looking at the Documantion makefile I can
> see that install-man is checking for the tools by calling
> 'get-executable' but I did not see 'get-executable' defined anywhere.
> Did I miss something or did you miss copying it from
> "tools/scripts/utilities.mak" of the kernel ?

Probably.

Could you file a bugzilla report so I can get to it on Jan 6 when I go
back to work.

  https://bugzilla.kernel.org/buglist.cgi?component=Trace-cmd%2FKernelshark&product=Tools&resolution=---

> I hope I am not disturbing your holidays. :)

Nah, but I wont be fixing it until next year. Happy Holidays!

-- Steve