linux-trace-devel.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
To: Viktor Rosendahl <viktor.rosendahl@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-trace-devel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Adding latency tracking to trace-cmd
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 17:17:28 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 23:01:53 +0200
Viktor Rosendahl <viktor.rosendahl@gmail.com> wrote:

>  > Hmm, sounds more like "--various" would be better than "--random". Just
>  > because it appears you wont to try different timings. Having a --random
>  > option just doesn't sound like it's what you expect it to be.
>  >

> I guess that you are right that with --random many people may assume the
> sleep time to be random. Perhaps --dizzy-sleep or --arbitrary-sleep
> would be better?

I think "--various-sleep" may be better. Note, I'm currently doing my
income taxes, and when you sell a bunch of stocks that you bought at
different times, for the date, you enter "various". Which is why that word
is in my head ;-)

> For the latency-collector, I used the name --random because the behavior
> is based on the lrand48_r() call, seeded by /dev/urandom. In my thinking
> it's the sleeping behavior that is random, not the sleep time.
>
> I guess that a mathematical purist may say that the behavior is
> arbitrary rather than random, because if the value N is different from
> two, then there are unequal probabilities between the two choices.
>
> At first when I developed the latency-collector, I thought that using a
> random sleep time would be the right approach but I came to the
> conclusion that it is not a good idea.
>
> If we have the case with a burst of two latencies, where the first one
> is 5 ms, , then if we for example sleep randomly between 0 and 500 ms,
> we will only have a 1% chance to get the first latency. If we use the
> random algorithm from the latency-collector, with N=2, then we have 50%
> chance, which is much better. Even if we would have been paranoid to
> initialize with N=5, in order to prepare for bursts sizes of up to 5,
> then we would still have a 20% chance.
>
> If we have a random sleep time then we would need to make assumptions on
> how long the latencies are and how much time there is between them, and
> there is no way to guess that beforehand.
>
> With the random behavior, we only need to make an assumption about how
> many latencies there are going to be in a burst, which is the value N.
> This is also impossible to know with certainty but we can make some
> educated guess about it. Also, as I already mentioned, if the
> latency-collector ever encounters N latencies in a burst, then it will
> automatically increment N.
>
>  > There's already a "-s" option that takes a sleep interval between
> wakeups,
>  > which sounds similar to what you have. Perhaps we can make "-1" a special
>  > value to do the "random" wakeup thing. "0" is already special to make it
>  > wake up when it detects data in the buffer.
>  >

> To me "-s -1" feels a bit too cryptic and non-descriptive. Also, I
> wonder how many would read the description of the -s option carefully
> enough to notice it.

It really comes to how well we make our documentation, and I want to create
a tutorial for most common operations. When there's good documentation (and
a simple and quick tutorial) cryptic solutions like the above can be useful.

> On the other hand, trace-cmd record seems to already use most of the
> alphabet as short options.

Yeah, it has suffered that :-/

> Do you think it could be acceptable to add a new long option, such as
> --dizzy-sleep?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "dizzy-sleep". To me, that means it is
unbalanced and not stable.

Where as --various-sleep is pretty much exactly what it is. It sleeps for
various amounts of time.

-- Steve