Linux-Trace-Devel Archive on lore.kernel.org
* libtraceevent and copy in linux/tools
@ 2021-04-21  3:09 Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2021-04-21  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-trace-devel

Hi,

libtracefs [1] has a dependency on tep_vwarning which is declared in
libtraceevent [2]. The libtraceevent in linux/tools lacks this [3] and
so trace-cmd, that requires libtracefs, can only be built with the
separate libtraceevent. I'm trying to avoid having two libtraceevent.
Should the copy in linux/tools be updated or should I not be using
that any more?

Thanks!
Ian

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/libtrace/libtracefs.git/tree/src/tracefs-utils.c#n33
[2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/libtrace/libtraceevent.git/tree/src/parse-utils.c#n14
[3] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/tools/lib/traceevent/parse-utils.c#n14

* Re: libtraceevent and copy in linux/tools
@ 2021-04-21  3:27 ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2021-04-21  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Rogers; +Cc: linux-trace-devel

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 20:09:25 -0700
Ian Rogers <irogers@google.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> libtracefs [1] has a dependency on tep_vwarning which is declared in
> libtraceevent [2]. The libtraceevent in linux/tools lacks this [3] and
> so trace-cmd, that requires libtracefs, can only be built with the
> separate libtraceevent. I'm trying to avoid having two libtraceevent.
> Should the copy in linux/tools be updated or should I not be using
> that any more?

Yes, the libtraceevent in the linux kernel is deprecated, and once
libtraceveent is available in all major distros (from the separate
library), we will be removing it from the kernel and having perf use
the library version.

-- Steve