Linux-Trace-Devel Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Zamir SUN <sztsian@gmail.com>
To: linux-trace-devel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: libtraceevent: make doc-install tries different file names than generated
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 17:50:19 +0800

Hi,

When I try to compiling the document of libtraceevent with the fix I
mentioned in [1] applied, make doc-install fails with errors like

"/usr/bin/install: cannot stat 'libtraceevent-record_parse.3': No such
file or directory"

Checking the compiled documents I see a lot of tep_*.3 generated, and
some libtraceevent_*.html. However no libtraceevent_*.3.

$ ls Documentation/*3 | head
Documentation/libtraceevent.3
Documentation/tep_alloc.3
Documentation/tep_clear_flag.3
Documentation/tep_cmdline_pid.3
Documentation/tep_data_comm_from_pid.3
Documentation/tep_data_flags.3
Documentation/tep_data_pid.3
Documentation/tep_data_pid_from_comm.3
Documentation/tep_data_preempt_count.3
Documentation/tep_data_type.3
ls Documentation/*html | head
Documentation/libtraceevent-commands.html
Documentation/libtraceevent-cpus.html
Documentation/libtraceevent-endian_read.html
Documentation/libtraceevent-event_find.html
Documentation/libtraceevent-event_get.html
Documentation/libtraceevent-event_list.html
Documentation/libtraceevent-event_print.html
Documentation/libtraceevent-field_find.html
Documentation/libtraceevent-field_get_val.html
Documentation/libtraceevent-field_print.html

I also tried to port the Makefile from trace-cmd/Documentation to the
document dir, and it still only generates tep_*.3 files, so I feel this
is not the issue with the patch from [1].

As for my local environment, I have xmlto and asciidoc installed[2], but
not asciidoctor. I expect asciidoc could generate the documentations
like what it did in trace-cmd before.

Any idea if this is issue with my environment or it's something that
need to be implemented in the Makefile?

Thanks in advance.

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-trace-devel/7897620c-3039-5e4f-09d9-41606673fa63@gmail.com/T/#t
[2] $ rpm -q asciidoc xmlto
asciidoc-8.6.10-0.14.20180605git986f99d.fc32.noarch
xmlto-0.0.28-13.fc32.x86_64

--
Zamir SUN
Fedora user