linux-trace-devel.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Getting libtraceevent into a packaged library
@ 2019-10-03 19:01 Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2019-10-03 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick McLean, John Kacur, Alan Mikhak, Seth Forshee,
	Tony Jones, Linux Trace Devel, Mauro Carvalho Chehab,
	Namhyung Kim, Nivedita Swaminathan

Hello folks,

I've Cc'd everyone that might be interested in helping package
libtraceveent. It is basically ready to become a full library package.
I only have a couple of patches to deal with SPDX headers and such, but
other than that, I think we are good to go.

My question is now, how to we go about having distributions package it.
Like perf, the main source code lives in the Linux kernel source tree
under:

 tools/lib/traceevent

I'd like to install the following headers in /usr/include

  event-parse.h
  kbuffer.h
  trace-seq.h

And the following libraries:

  libtraceevent.so (with all its versions)

Documentation man pages are in the Documentation directory.

And we should have plugins installed as well.

If we had done everything correctly, a "make install" in that directory
will move all the files to their proper location.

make doc will create the man pages.

make doc-install will install the man pages.

What's the next step to get this into a package so that perf,
trace-cmd, power-top, rasdaemon, uftrace, and whatever does not need to
have its own copy of the code, but instead link to it.

Note, the interface has changed since other tools copied it, and I'm
willing to help anyone out in porting to the package.

Let me know of anyone else that can help in getting this packaged for a
Linux distribution.

-- Steve