linux-trace-devel.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* libtraceevent internal functions
@ 2020-09-21  4:22 Tzvetomir Stoyanov
From: Tzvetomir Stoyanov @ 2020-09-21  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: Linux Trace Devel

Hi Steven,
While I was working to hide non API libtraceevent functions from the
users, as Ben Hutchings suggested, I found these - they are declared
as official APIs in event-parse.h, but are not described in the man
pages. We should decide - are they APIs, so we should add them into
the man pages, or are internal functions and we should hide them.
   tep_peek_char
   tep_load_plugins_hook
   tep_print_printk
   tep_buffer_init
   tep_get_input_buf_ptr
   tep_get_input_buf
   tep_read_token
   tep_set_test_filters
   tep_add_plugin_path
   tep_plugin_print_options
   tep_free_token
   tep_print_funcs

--
Tzvetomir (Ceco) Stoyanov
VMware Open Source Technology Center

* Re: libtraceevent internal functions
@ 2020-09-23  7:47 ` Tzvetomir Stoyanov
From: Tzvetomir Stoyanov @ 2020-09-23  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: Linux Trace Devel

Hi Steven, I did a quick research of these functions. Some of them
should be library APIs and some should be internal only
That is what I found:

These are used only in the library, going to hide them:
   tep_peek_char
   tep_buffer_init
   tep_get_input_buf_ptr
   tep_get_input_buf
   tep_read_token
   tep_free_token

These are used by perf and trace-cmd, going to add a man page for them:
   tep_print_printk
   tep_add_plugin_path
   tep_print_funcs

These are not used anywhere yet, but look like APIs, going to add a
man page for them:
  tep_set_test_filters
  tep_plugin_print_options

This one is already an API with man page, it is in the list by mistake
  tep_load_plugins_hook

@ 2020-09-23 15:24   ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2020-09-23 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tzvetomir Stoyanov; +Cc: Linux Trace Devel

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 10:47:43 +0300
Tzvetomir Stoyanov <tz.stoyanov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Steven, I did a quick research of these functions. Some of them
> should be library APIs and some should be internal only
> That is what I found:
>
> These are used only in the library, going to hide them:
>    tep_peek_char
>    tep_buffer_init
>    tep_get_input_buf_ptr
>    tep_get_input_buf
>    tep_read_token
>    tep_free_token
>
> These are used by perf and trace-cmd, going to add a man page for them:
>    tep_print_printk
>    tep_add_plugin_path
>    tep_print_funcs
>
> These are not used anywhere yet, but look like APIs, going to add a
> man page for them:
>   tep_set_test_filters
>   tep_plugin_print_options
>
> This one is already an API with man page, it is in the list by mistake
>   tep_load_plugins_hook

Hi Ceco,

Looks good. Thanks for the update.

-- Steve