linux-um.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* Add linux-um archives to lore.kernel.org?
@ 2022-10-12 19:11 Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2022-10-12 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-um
  Cc: Richard Weinberger, Anton Ivanov, Johannes Berg, linux-um-owner,
	linux-kernel, helpdesk

and is quite active [1].  Once in a while a commit links to the
infradead pipermail archive [2] (the link in that commit appears
broken).

I propose that we add linux-um to the lore.kernel.org archives so
future commits can use lore.kernel.org links that don't depend on
infradead.

https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html says pipermail archives like
infradead has are not ideal, but I don't have any archives at all, and
I don't know how to get even pipermail archives out of infradead.

Bjorn

[1] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-um/
[2] https://git.kernel.org/linus/3b0b42527937

* Re: Add linux-um archives to lore.kernel.org?
@ 2022-10-12 19:15 ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2022-10-12 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas, linux-um
  Cc: Richard Weinberger, Anton Ivanov, linux-um-owner, linux-kernel,
	helpdesk, David Woodhouse

On Wed, 2022-10-12 at 14:11 -0500, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> and is quite active [1].  Once in a while a commit links to the
> infradead pipermail archive [2] (the link in that commit appears
> broken).
>
> I propose that we add linux-um to the lore.kernel.org archives so
> future commits can use lore.kernel.org links that don't depend on
> infradead.
>
> https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html says pipermail archives like
> infradead has are not ideal, but I don't have any archives at all, and
> I don't know how to get even pipermail archives out of infradead.

I think we talked about this before, but I also don't have any archives
worth talking about (only since mid 2019 with a small gap in mid 2020).

If anyone wants to collect the archives from all people, I'm sure it
could be done. I can contribute what I have ...

The tooling makes that pretty simple, actually.

I think lists.infradead.org mostly got lost though, right dwmw2? So that
way I don't think we'll find much (old) archives either.

johannes

* Re: Add linux-um archives to lore.kernel.org?
@ 2022-10-12 20:38 ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2022-10-12 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-um
  Cc: Richard Weinberger, Anton Ivanov, Johannes Berg, linux-um-owner,
	linux-kernel, helpdesk

On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 02:11:44PM -0500, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html says pipermail archives like
> infradead has are not ideal, but I don't have any archives at all, and
> I don't know how to get even pipermail archives out of infradead.

FWIW, here's a link to pipermail "archives" downloaded with:
  wget -r -np -l 1 -n d -A gz http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/$LIST/
  tar cf $LIST.tar $LIST
  xz -9 $LIST.tar

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zS5kricACvwhoCvmZcMSvNRHp-9PHGjd/view?usp=sharing

* Re: Add linux-um archives to lore.kernel.org?
@ 2022-10-13  6:52   ` Anton Ivanov
From: Anton Ivanov @ 2022-10-13  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg, Bjorn Helgaas, linux-um
  Cc: Richard Weinberger, linux-um-owner, linux-kernel, helpdesk,
	David Woodhouse

On 12/10/2022 20:15, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-10-12 at 14:11 -0500, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
>> and is quite active [1].  Once in a while a commit links to the
>> infradead pipermail archive [2] (the link in that commit appears
>> broken).
>>
>> I propose that we add linux-um to the lore.kernel.org archives so
>> future commits can use lore.kernel.org links that don't depend on
>> infradead.
>>
>> https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html says pipermail archives like
>> infradead has are not ideal, but I don't have any archives at all, and
>> I don't know how to get even pipermail archives out of infradead.
>
> I think we talked about this before, but I also don't have any archives
> worth talking about (only since mid 2019 with a small gap in mid 2020).
>
> If anyone wants to collect the archives from all people, I'm sure it
> could be done. I can contribute what I have ...

I am not keeping any (only some of the discussion on my own patches) - I relied on the mailing list archive.

--
Anton R. Ivanov
Cambridgegreys Limited. Registered in England. Company Number 10273661

* Re: Add linux-um archives to lore.kernel.org?
@ 2022-10-13 12:46     ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2022-10-13 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anton ivanov
  Cc: Johannes Berg, Bjorn Helgaas, linux-um, linux-kernel, helpdesk,
	David Woodhouse, Geert Uytterhoeven

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> Von: "anton ivanov" <anton.ivanov@cambridgegreys.com>
> On 12/10/2022 20:15, Johannes Berg wrote:
>> On Wed, 2022-10-12 at 14:11 -0500, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
>>> and is quite active [1].  Once in a while a commit links to the
>>> infradead pipermail archive [2] (the link in that commit appears
>>> broken).
>>>
>>> I propose that we add linux-um to the lore.kernel.org archives so
>>> future commits can use lore.kernel.org links that don't depend on
>>> infradead.
>>>
>>> https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html says pipermail archives like
>>> infradead has are not ideal, but I don't have any archives at all, and
>>> I don't know how to get even pipermail archives out of infradead.
>>
>> I think we talked about this before, but I also don't have any archives
>> worth talking about (only since mid 2019 with a small gap in mid 2020).
>>
>> If anyone wants to collect the archives from all people, I'm sure it
>> could be done. I can contribute what I have ...
>>

> I am not keeping any (only some of the discussion on my own patches) - I relied
> on the mailing list archive.
>
>> The tooling makes that pretty simple, actually.
>>
>> I think lists.infradead.org mostly got lost though, right dwmw2? So that
>> way I don't think we'll find much (old) archives either.

Geert, IIRC you have excellent archives. Maybe you can help us?

Thanks,
//richard

* Re: Add linux-um archives to lore.kernel.org?
@ 2022-10-13 12:52       ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2022-10-13 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Weinberger
  Cc: anton ivanov, Johannes Berg, Bjorn Helgaas, linux-um,
	linux-kernel, helpdesk, David Woodhouse

Hi Richard,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 2:46 PM Richard Weinberger <richard@nod.at> wrote:
> ----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> > Von: "anton ivanov" <anton.ivanov@cambridgegreys.com>

> >> I think we talked about this before, but I also don't have any archives
> >> worth talking about (only since mid 2019 with a small gap in mid 2020).
> >>
> >> If anyone wants to collect the archives from all people, I'm sure it
> >> could be done. I can contribute what I have ...
> >>

> > I am not keeping any (only some of the discussion on my own patches) - I relied
> > on the mailing list archive.
> >
> >> The tooling makes that pretty simple, actually.
> >>
> >> I think lists.infradead.org mostly got lost though, right dwmw2? So that
> >> way I don't think we'll find much (old) archives either.
>
> Geert, IIRC you have excellent archives. Maybe you can help us?

/me wondered how long he could keep on ignoring this thread ;-)

Mine date back to 2003 (at sourceforge.net).
I'll increase the priority of that task...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: Add linux-um archives to lore.kernel.org?
@ 2022-10-13 12:57         ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2022-10-13 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Weinberger
  Cc: anton ivanov, Johannes Berg, Bjorn Helgaas, linux-um,
	linux-kernel, helpdesk, David Woodhouse

Hi Richard.

The first step is
https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html#requesting-archival-of-an-existing-list

It doesn't make much sense to start collecting archives if the lore
collector hasn't been activated yet.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: Add linux-um archives to lore.kernel.org?
@ 2022-10-13 18:29           ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2022-10-13 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven
  Cc: Richard Weinberger, anton ivanov, Johannes Berg, Bjorn Helgaas,
	linux-um, linux-kernel, helpdesk, David Woodhouse

On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 02:57:18PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> The first step is
> https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html#requesting-archival-of-an-existing-list
>
> It doesn't make much sense to start collecting archives if the lore
> collector hasn't been activated yet.

The archiver is now subscribed to the list. Once we have the archives, we can
complete the setup.

-K

From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2022-10-13 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven
  Cc: Richard Weinberger, anton ivanov, Johannes Berg, Bjorn Helgaas,

@ 2022-10-13 18:48             ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2022-10-13 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev
  Cc: Richard Weinberger, anton ivanov, Johannes Berg, Bjorn Helgaas,
	linux-um, linux-kernel, helpdesk, David Woodhouse

Hi Konstantin,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 8:29 PM Konstantin Ryabitsev
<konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 02:57:18PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > The first step is
> > https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html#requesting-archival-of-an-existing-list
> >
> > It doesn't make much sense to start collecting archives if the lore
> > collector hasn't been activated yet.
>
> The archiver is now subscribed to the list. Once we have the archives, we can
> complete the setup.

Thank you, I have triggered the export from Gmail. After I have received
the export archive, I will merge it with my local pre-Gmail archives.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2022-10-13 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev
  Cc: Richard Weinberger, anton ivanov, Johannes Berg, Bjorn Helgaas,

@ 2022-10-14 18:06               ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2022-10-14 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev
  Cc: Richard Weinberger, anton ivanov, Johannes Berg, Bjorn Helgaas,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 8:48 PM Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 8:29 PM Konstantin Ryabitsev
> <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 02:57:18PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > The first step is
> > > https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html#requesting-archival-of-an-existing-list
> > >
> > > It doesn't make much sense to start collecting archives if the lore
> > > collector hasn't been activated yet.
> >
> > The archiver is now subscribed to the list. Once we have the archives, we can
> > complete the setup.
>
> Thank you, I have triggered the export from Gmail. After I have received
> the export archive, I will merge it with my local pre-Gmail archives.

I have just sent my merged archive for linux-um.lists.infradead.org
and the old user-mode-linux-devel.lists.sourceforge.net (starting
from 2003-09-02) to Konstantin.

If you you have older archives, or want to fill in the possible gaps,
you can follow the procedure [1] starting from my
linux-um-known-ids.txt.xz[2], and share the new emails with Konstantin.

Konstantin: I believe there is a bug in the sending procedure [3]:

    tar cf full-archives.tar dir-with-mbox-files

I guess that should be

    tar cf full-archives.tar ~/linux-kernel-announce

instead?

Thanks!

[1] https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html#merging-multiple-archives-into-one
[2] https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d68UBC4pOCgQicz_a3vIsJAhDy9CTQnH/view?usp=sharing
[3] https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html#send-the-archive-to-helpdesk

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: Add linux-um archives to lore.kernel.org?
@ 2022-10-14 18:41                 ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2022-10-14 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven
  Cc: Konstantin Ryabitsev, Richard Weinberger, anton ivanov,
	Johannes Berg, linux-um, linux-kernel, helpdesk, David Woodhouse

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 08:06:43PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 8:48 PM Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

> Konstantin: I believe there is a bug in the sending procedure [3]:
>
>     tar cf full-archives.tar dir-with-mbox-files
>
> I guess that should be
>
>     tar cf full-archives.tar ~/linux-kernel-announce
>
> instead?

While you're looking at typos, there's a "list-archive-marker.py" in
the last section [4] that I think should be "list-archive-maker.py".

> [3] https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html#send-the-archive-to-helpdesk

[4] https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html#can-we-use-mailman-archives

* Re: Add linux-um archives to lore.kernel.org?
@ 2022-11-17  8:58                 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2022-11-17  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev
  Cc: Richard Weinberger, anton ivanov, Johannes Berg, Bjorn Helgaas,

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 8:06 PM Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 8:48 PM Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 8:29 PM Konstantin Ryabitsev
> > <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> > > The archiver is now subscribed to the list. Once we have the archives, we can
> > > complete the setup.
> >
> > Thank you, I have triggered the export from Gmail. After I have received
> > the export archive, I will merge it with my local pre-Gmail archives.
>
> I have just sent my merged archive for linux-um.lists.infradead.org
> and the old user-mode-linux-devel.lists.sourceforge.net (starting
> from 2003-09-02) to Konstantin.

Is there anything from us you are still waiting for?
Thanks again!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: Add linux-um archives to lore.kernel.org?
@ 2022-11-18 21:41                   ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2022-11-18 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven
  Cc: Richard Weinberger, anton ivanov, Johannes Berg, Bjorn Helgaas,

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 09:58:31AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Is there anything from us you are still waiting for?
> Thanks again!

Nope, it's just waiting for some cycles. I should be able to get it done soon.
Thank you for your patience.

Cheers,
-K

* Re: Add linux-um archives to lore.kernel.org?
@ 2023-02-10 23:02                   ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2023-02-10 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven
  Cc: Richard Weinberger, anton ivanov, Johannes Berg, Bjorn Helgaas,
	linux-um, linux-kernel, helpdesk, David Woodhouse

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 09:58:31AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > Thank you, I have triggered the export from Gmail. After I have received
> > > the export archive, I will merge it with my local pre-Gmail archives.
> >
> > I have just sent my merged archive for linux-um.lists.infradead.org
> > and the old user-mode-linux-devel.lists.sourceforge.net (starting
> > from 2003-09-02) to Konstantin.

Better late than never -- this is now done.

Sorry about the wait.

-K

* Re: Add linux-um archives to lore.kernel.org?
@ 2023-02-10 23:03                     ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2023-02-10 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev
  Cc: Geert Uytterhoeven, Richard Weinberger, anton ivanov,
	Johannes Berg, Bjorn Helgaas, linux-um, linux-kernel, helpdesk,
	David Woodhouse

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 5:02 PM Konstantin Ryabitsev
<konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> > > I have just sent my merged archive for linux-um.lists.infradead.org
> > > and the old user-mode-linux-devel.lists.sourceforge.net (starting
> > > from 2003-09-02) to Konstantin.
>
> Better late than never -- this is now done.

Thank you!

* Re: Add linux-um archives to lore.kernel.org?
@ 2023-02-11  9:13                     ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2023-02-11  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev
  Cc: Geert Uytterhoeven, anton ivanov, Johannes Berg, Bjorn Helgaas,
	linux-um, linux-kernel, helpdesk, David Woodhouse

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> Von: "Konstantin Ryabitsev" <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
> Better late than never -- this is now done.
>
> Sorry about the wait.

No need to worry, thanks a lot! :-)

Thanks,
//richard