linux-unionfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: fsnotify events for overlayfs real file
@ 2021-05-10 16:31 Amir Goldstein
From: Amir Goldstein @ 2021-05-10 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miklos Szeredi; +Cc: Jan Kara, Christian Brauner, linux-fsdevel, overlayfs

> > > I assume you are speaking of the filesystem that is absorbing the changes?
> > > AFAIU usually you are not supposed to access that filesystem alone but
> > > always access it only through overlayfs and in that case you won't see the
> > > problem?
> > >

> > Yes I am talking about the "backend" store for overlayfs.
> > Normally, that would be a subtree where changes are not expected
> > except through overlayfs and indeed it is documented that:
> > "If the underlying filesystem is changed, the behavior of the overlay
> >  is undefined, though it will not result in a crash or deadlock."
> > Not reporting events falls well under "undefined".
> >
> > But that is not the problem.
> > The problem is that if user A is watching a directory D for changes, then
> > an adversary user B which has read/write access to D can:
> > - Clone a userns wherein user B id is 0
> > - Mount a private overlayfs instance using D as upperdir
> > - Open file in D indirectly via private overlayfs and edit it
> >
> > So it does not require any special privileges to circumvent generating
> > events. Unless I am missing something.
>
> I see, right. I agree that is unfortunate especially for stuff like audit
> or fanotify permission events so we should fix that.

Miklos,

Do you recall what is the reason for using FMODE_NONOTIFY
for realfile?

I can see that events won't be generated anyway for watchers of
underlying file, because fsnotify_file() looks at the "fake" path
(i.e. the overlay file path).

I recently looked at a similar issue w.r.t file_remove_privs() when
I was looking at passing mnt context to notify_change() [1].

My thinking was that we can change d_real() to provide the real path:

static inline struct path d_real_path(struct path *path,
                                    const struct inode *inode)
{
        struct realpath = {};
        if (!unlikely(dentry->d_flags & DCACHE_OP_REAL))
               return *path;
        dentry->d_op->d_real(path->dentry, inode, &realpath);
        return realpath;
}

static inline struct dentry *d_real(struct dentry *dentry,
                                    const struct inode *inode)
{
        struct realpath = {};
        if (!unlikely(dentry->d_flags & DCACHE_OP_REAL))
               return dentry;
        dentry->d_op->d_real(path->dentry, inode, &realpath);
        return realpath.dentry;
}

Another option, instead of getting the realpath, just detect the
mismatch of file_inode(file) != d_inode(path->dentry) in
fanotify_file() and pass FSNOTIFY_EVENT_DENTRY data type
with d_real() dentry to backend instead of FSNOTIFY_EVENT_PATH.

For inotify it should be enough and for fanotify it is enough for
FAN_REPORT_FID and legacy fanotify can report FAN_NOFD,
so at least permission events listeners can identify the situation and
be able to block access to unknown paths.

Am I overcomplicating this?

Any magic solution that I am missing?

Thanks,
Amir.