linux-unionfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: sd .img partition loop support
       [not found] <CADmzSSgquwg49GfMNSxi6KRcvq2nxPhwtiH311D+Ux_VTuE+fA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-10-18 18:45 ` Carl Karsten
From: Carl Karsten @ 2021-10-18 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-unionfs

I'm trying to overlay an empty upper dir onto a fat/loop/img fs and getting:

juser@negk:~/boot$ sudo mount -o ro /dev/mapper/loop0p1 img
juser@negk:~/boot$ sudo mount -t overlay overlay
-olowerdir=img,upperdir=upper,workdir=work merged
mount: /home/juser/boot/merged: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock
on overlay, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

[ 2449.670177] overlayfs: filesystem on 'lower' not supported

code to replicate:

mkdir boot
cd boot
mkdir img  lower  upper work merged

wget http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_lite_armhf/images/raspios_lite_armhf-2020-05-28/2020-05-27-raspios-buster-lite-armhf.zip
unzip 2020-05-27-raspios-buster-lite-armhf.zip

sudo kpartx -av 2020-05-27-raspios-buster-lite-armhf.img
sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop0p1 img

# this errors:
sudo mount -t overlay overlay -olowerdir=img,upperdir=upper,workdir=work
merged

# this does not
cp img/* lower/
sudo mount -t overlay overlay -olowerdir=lower,upperdir=upper,workdir=work
merged

https://github.com/CarlFK/pici/blob/main/test1.sh

The goal is to netboot a pi using the files from the .img with a few
changes, the root kernel parameter needs to be changed from local storage
to nfs:
# tftp/cmdline.txt
root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=10.21.0.1:/srv/nfs/rpi/root,vers=4.1,proto=tcp rw
ip=dhcp rootwait elevator=deadline consoleblank=0

I can copy all the files from the .img into a dir,  but I am thinking I
should be able to overlay a dir on top to manage the changes.

If you want to see my netboot pi server setup
https://github.com/CarlFK/pici/blob/main/setup.md

--
Carl K

* Re: sd .img partition loop support
@ 2021-10-19  6:53   ` Amir Goldstein
From: Amir Goldstein @ 2021-10-19  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Karsten; +Cc: overlayfs

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 9:46 PM Carl Karsten <carl@nextdayvideo.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to overlay an empty upper dir onto a fat/loop/img fs and getting:
>
> juser@negk:~/boot$ sudo mount -o ro /dev/mapper/loop0p1 img
> juser@negk:~/boot$ sudo mount -t overlay overlay
> -olowerdir=img,upperdir=upper,workdir=work merged
> mount: /home/juser/boot/merged: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock
> on overlay, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
>
> [ 2449.670177] overlayfs: filesystem on 'lower' not supported

fat was never supported as lower or upper layer AFAIK, see:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-unionfs/2527352.xHhNOModH5@nerdopolis/

This is due to the case insensitive and special name encoding of fat.
It is not unfixable, but it was never a priority for anyone to fix it.

I suppose it would be easier for you to copy the image to another filesystem
before constructing the overlay.

Thanks,
Amir.

* Re: sd .img partition loop support
@ 2021-10-19 15:29     ` Carl Karsten
From: Carl Karsten @ 2021-10-19 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amir Goldstein; +Cc: overlayfs

case insensitive, I can see how that would be a problem.

Now that I understand that I'll stop trying to make it work
thank you.

--
Carl K