linux-unionfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu>
To: Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com>
Cc: Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@redhat.com>,
	overlayfs <linux-unionfs@vger.kernel.org>,
	Fabian <godi.beat@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: overlayfs: issue with a replaced lower squashfs with export-table
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 10:00:27 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 8:55 AM Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

No, I think copying layers is a different issue: it's not possible to
get the same file handle for A and B since they are

 - either on different filesystems and uuid is different
 - on the same filesystem, hence fh must be unique for the lifetime of the fs

> Now, suggestions for work arounds:
>
> 1. Don't follow with lower null uuid (patch posted) - no caveats

We could add some sort of "overlay version"  to origin to be able to
trust null uuid, but only if created in *this* instance of overlayfs.
That way we retain some of the advantages without any of the
drawbacks.   This does not seem too complex theoretically, but not
sure if it's worth it.

> 2. Opt-out of following origin with explicit option e.g. "index=nofollow"
> 3. Don't follow origin unless one of the following opt-in features:
>     metacopy,index,xino

Maybe, if 1) is problematic for some reason.

Thanks,
Miklos