linux-unionfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com>
To: Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu>
Cc: Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>,
	Christian Brauner <christian.brauner@ubuntu.com>,
	linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org>,
	overlayfs <linux-unionfs@vger.kernel.org>,
	Marko Rauhamaa <marko.rauhamaa@f-secure.com>
Subject: Re: fsnotify events for overlayfs real file
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 21:26:35 +0300	[thread overview]

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 6:18 PM Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 19:56, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com> wrote:

> Real paths are internal, we can't pass them (as fd in permission
> events) to userspace.

> That sounds like a good short term solution.

It may be a fine academic solution, but I don't think it solves any real
world problem.
I am not aware of any security oriented solutions that use permission
events on inode or directory (let alone sb).

The security oriented users of fanotify are anti-virus on-access
protection engines and those are using mount marks anyway
(dynamically adding them as far as I know).
[cc Marko who may be able to shed some light]

For those products, creating a bind mount inside a new mount ns
may actually escape the on-access policy or the new mount will
also be marked I am not sure. I suppose cloning mount ns may be
prohibited by another LSM or something(?).

> > Is there a reason for the fake path besides the displayed path in
> > /proc/self/maps?
>
> I'm not aware of any.
>

> > Does it make sense to keep one realfile with fake path for mmaped
> > files along side a realfile with private/detached path used for all the
> > other operations?
>
> This should work, but it would add more open files,

True, but only for the mmaped files.

> so needs some good justifications.

I'm afraid I don't have one yet..
Let's see what the AV vendors have to say.

Thanks,
Amir.