linux-unionfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com>
To: Chris Murphy <lists@colorremedies.com>
Cc: Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu>,
	overlayfs <linux-unionfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: btrfs+overlayfs: upper fs does not support xattr, falling back to index=off and metacopy=off.
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 10:28:50 +0300	[thread overview]

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 9:05 AM Chris Murphy <lists@colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 11:12 PM Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Now I'm confused again.
>
> So am I, and in retrospect I've posted here prematurely.
>

> > Your reports starts by stating:
> > "The primary problem is Bolt (Thunderbolt 3) tests that are
> > experiencing a regression when run in a container using overlayfs,"
> >
> > But you say that the problem exists with kernel 5.9.
> > When you say "regression" above, what are you referring to?
>
> Overlayfs. Now that I've tested 5.9, I'm not so sure it's a kernel regression.
>

> > Did those tests pass in a previous Bolt version?
> > Did those tests ever pass in a container using overlayfs?
>
> Yes and yes.
>
> > There is surely a bug in overlayfs, but it's hard to find it without
> > minimal bisection info. I'll keep looking.
> >
> > If it's a regression with newer distro, please try to understand
> > from distro/package managers, what has changed in the container
> > setup and kernel config w.r.t a container using overlayfs.
>
> Exactly. The original report of the problem is Alpine linux, but I
> can't reproduce it on Fedora except with podman using an Alpine image
> base. As all the other suspects have fallen apart, what remains
> untested for regressions is this.

I'm lost in the maze of distros and containers.
Will wait for more info.
In any case, I was able to reproduce the bug in ovl_dir_version_inc()
I will post a fix soon.

But I don't see how the test case you reported can be affected.
The bug I reproduced requires an upper directory that used to be
a merge dir and whose lower dir was removed while overlayfs was
offline.

Thanks,
Amir.