linux-unionfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com>
To: "L. A. Walsh" <lkml@tlinx.org>
Cc: overlayfs <linux-unionfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: odd error: why: mount: /home2: mount(2) system call failed: Stale file handle
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 08:44:28 +0300	[thread overview]

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 10:18 PM L. A. Walsh <lkml@tlinx.org> wrote:

> Started to try overlay fs w/one fs, but decided on another, so
> umounted the first -- hadn't done any changes.
>
> Then tried a different lower dir (/home) and tried to mount into new
> dir /home2.  Got:
> mount: /home2: mount(2) system call failed: Stale file handle
>
> any idea why?  I cleared out contents of workdir (two empty dirs)
> but still didn't work again.
>
> running a Vanilla-ish self-made kernel version 5.9.2...
> don't know what other info I should provide...oh well...

You should normally at least look at kmsg, where you are likely to
find "overlayfs: failed to verify upper root origin".

It is generally not allowed to reuse the upper layer and replace the
lower layers after overlayfs has been mounted once.

If you say you did not change anything, it is not clear what is the
benefit of reusing  the empty upper layer.

Thanks,
Amir.