linux-unionfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com>
To: Chris Murphy <lists@colorremedies.com>
Cc: Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu>,
	overlayfs <linux-unionfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: btrfs+overlayfs: upper fs does not support xattr, falling back to index=off and metacopy=off.
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 08:12:23 +0300	[thread overview]

[removing btrfs list]

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 11:03 PM Chris Murphy <lists@colorremedies.com> wrote:

> Keeping everything else the same, and only reverting to kernel
> 5.9.16-200.fc33.x86_64, this kernel message
>
> >overlayfs: upper fs does not support xattr, falling back to index=off and metacopy=off
>
> no longer appears when I 'podman system reset' or when 'podman build'
> bolt, using the overlay driver.

I don't see a change in overlayfs that would explain seeing this warning
in v5.12 and not in v5.9 - on the contrary, in v5.12 the warning is printed
only if index or metacopy features have actually been requested.

So it must be a change in the upper fs, which is tmpfs?
Anyway, I don't have enough information and this seems unrelated
to the test failure, so I'll drop it.

> However, I do still get
> Bail out! ERROR:../tests/test-common.c:1413:test_io_dir_is_empty:
> 'empty' should be FALSE

Now I'm confused again.

Your reports starts by stating:
"The primary problem is Bolt (Thunderbolt 3) tests that are
experiencing a regression when run in a container using overlayfs,"

But you say that the problem exists with kernel 5.9.
When you say "regression" above, what are you referring to?

Did those tests pass in a previous Bolt version?
Did those tests ever pass in a container using overlayfs?

There is surely a bug in overlayfs, but it's hard to find it without
minimal bisection info. I'll keep looking.

If it's a regression with newer distro, please try to understand
from distro/package managers, what has changed in the container
setup and kernel config w.r.t a container using overlayfs.

Thanks,
Amir.