linux-usb.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com>
To: <damien.lemoal@wdc.com>
Cc: "'LKML'" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	<linux-usb@vger.kernel.org>, <linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org>,
	"'Alan Stern'" <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>
Subject: RE: 5.2.x kernel: WD 8TB USB Drives: Unaligned partial completion (resid=78, sector_sz=512)
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2019 15:37:16 -0400	[thread overview]

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Stern [mailto:stern@rowland.harvard.edu]
Sent: Saturday, August 3, 2019 3:00 PM
To: Justin Piszcz
Cc: 'LKML'; linux-usb@vger.kernel.org; linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> Attached 2 x brand new Western Digital 8TB USB 3.0 drives awhile back and
> ran some file copy tests and was getting these warnings-- is there any way
> to avoid these warnings?� I did confirm with parted that the partition was
> aligned but this appears to be something related to the firmware on the
> device according to [1] and [2]?
>
> [1]�https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9573203/
> [2] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9597797/

Just out of curiosity, why did you not address your email to the author
or committer of this patch?  Surely they would be the people in the
best position to answer your questions.

[ .. ]

Fixed.

I had been researching this issue and did not find any useful notes on the mailing lists--hopefully this will help others if there's a copy of the response on the mailing list.

These drives [1] [2] are the ones noted as affected when used on Linux [1] plugged in directly to a Linux PC (w/USB 3.0/XHCI) and [2] when in a USB enclosure with a JMicron SATA Bridge.

[1] WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN - https://www.wd.com/products/external-storage/my-book-new.html#WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN
[2] WD40EZRZ-22GXCB0 - https://www.wd.com/products/internal-storage/wd-blue-pc-desktop-hard-drive.html  (In a USB enclosure with a JMicron SATA Bridge - per Markus)

Regards,

Justin.