Linux-USB Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* Reg: USB network interface is down after the reboot
@ 2019-12-26  9:31 RAJESH DASARI
  2019-12-30  9:22 ` RAJESH DASARI
  2020-01-13 13:48 ` Oliver Neukum
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: RAJESH DASARI @ 2019-12-26  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-usb

Hi,

I have an USB network Interface connected between two devices.

                      usb0
Device A       ---------      Device B

Device A side:

ifconfig usb0
usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 72:81:17:44:9A:C6
          inet addr:169.254.0.18  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.240.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::7081:17ff:fe44:9ac6/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:104 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:7553 (7.3 KiB)

Device B side:

ifconfig usb0
usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr DA:A4:50:01:5C:B8
          inet addr:169.254.0.17  Bcast:169.254.15.255  Mask:255.255.240.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::d8a4:50ff:fe01:5cb8/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:913 errors:200 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:319658 (312.1 KiB)

Ping from device A usb to device B usb interface is working fine.

# ping 169.254.0.17
PING 169.254.0.17 (169.254.0.17) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 169.254.0.17: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.807 ms
64 bytes from 169.254.0.17: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.459 ms

I have restarted the Device B and i could see the below logs on Device
A console.

usb 1-3.3: USB disconnect, device number 5
cdc_ether 1-3.3:2.0 usb0: unregister 'cdc_ether' usb-0000:00:15.0-3.3,
CDC Ethernet Device
usb 1-3.4: USB disconnect, device number 6
usb 1-3: USB disconnect, device number 4

When the Device B was coming up  the below logs are seen on the device
A console.

usb 1-3.3: new high-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
cdc_ether 1-3.3:2.0 usb0: register 'cdc_ether' at
usb-0000:00:15.0-3.3, CDC Ethernet Device, 4e:7b:fc:19:ad:62

Device B side usb0 interface is up and RUNNING after the Device B
reboot but the usb0 interface  on the device A shows that interface is
down and it is RUNNING bit
is set not set.

Device B side:
ifconfig usb0
usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 76:2D:4D:E7:76:73
          inet addr:169.254.0.17  Bcast:169.254.15.255  Mask:255.255.240.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::742d:4dff:fee7:7673/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:8 errors:8 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:648 (648.0 B)

Device A side:

ifconfig usb0
usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 72:81:17:44:9A:C6
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Driver used at device A side:
ethtool -i usb0
driver: cdc_ether
version: 22-Aug-2005
firmware-version: CDC Ethernet Device
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: usb-0000:00:15.0-3.3

kernel version: 4.9.164

Could someone please help, why the usb0 is down on Device A side and
it there is any known issue or is this  expected behaviour?

Regards,
Rajesh.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Reg: USB network interface is down after the reboot
  2019-12-26  9:31 Reg: USB network interface is down after the reboot RAJESH DASARI
@ 2019-12-30  9:22 ` RAJESH DASARI
  2020-01-13 13:48 ` Oliver Neukum
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: RAJESH DASARI @ 2019-12-30  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-usb

Could someone please respond to my query.
Thanks,
Rajesh.

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 3:01 PM RAJESH DASARI <raajeshdasari@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have an USB network Interface connected between two devices.
>
>                       usb0
> Device A       ---------      Device B
>
> Device A side:
>
> ifconfig usb0
> usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 72:81:17:44:9A:C6
>           inet addr:169.254.0.18  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.240.0
>           inet6 addr: fe80::7081:17ff:fe44:9ac6/64 Scope:Link
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:104 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:7553 (7.3 KiB)
>
> Device B side:
>
> ifconfig usb0
> usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr DA:A4:50:01:5C:B8
>           inet addr:169.254.0.17  Bcast:169.254.15.255  Mask:255.255.240.0
>           inet6 addr: fe80::d8a4:50ff:fe01:5cb8/64 Scope:Link
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:913 errors:200 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:319658 (312.1 KiB)
>
> Ping from device A usb to device B usb interface is working fine.
>
> # ping 169.254.0.17
> PING 169.254.0.17 (169.254.0.17) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from 169.254.0.17: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.807 ms
> 64 bytes from 169.254.0.17: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.459 ms
>
> I have restarted the Device B and i could see the below logs on Device
> A console.
>
> usb 1-3.3: USB disconnect, device number 5
> cdc_ether 1-3.3:2.0 usb0: unregister 'cdc_ether' usb-0000:00:15.0-3.3,
> CDC Ethernet Device
> usb 1-3.4: USB disconnect, device number 6
> usb 1-3: USB disconnect, device number 4
>
> When the Device B was coming up  the below logs are seen on the device
> A console.
>
> usb 1-3.3: new high-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
> cdc_ether 1-3.3:2.0 usb0: register 'cdc_ether' at
> usb-0000:00:15.0-3.3, CDC Ethernet Device, 4e:7b:fc:19:ad:62
>
> Device B side usb0 interface is up and RUNNING after the Device B
> reboot but the usb0 interface  on the device A shows that interface is
> down and it is RUNNING bit
> is set not set.
>
> Device B side:
> ifconfig usb0
> usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 76:2D:4D:E7:76:73
>           inet addr:169.254.0.17  Bcast:169.254.15.255  Mask:255.255.240.0
>           inet6 addr: fe80::742d:4dff:fee7:7673/64 Scope:Link
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:8 errors:8 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:648 (648.0 B)
>
> Device A side:
>
> ifconfig usb0
> usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 72:81:17:44:9A:C6
>           BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
>
> Driver used at device A side:
> ethtool -i usb0
> driver: cdc_ether
> version: 22-Aug-2005
> firmware-version: CDC Ethernet Device
> expansion-rom-version:
> bus-info: usb-0000:00:15.0-3.3
>
> kernel version: 4.9.164
>
> Could someone please help, why the usb0 is down on Device A side and
> it there is any known issue or is this  expected behaviour?
>
> Regards,
> Rajesh.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Reg: USB network interface is down after the reboot
  2019-12-26  9:31 Reg: USB network interface is down after the reboot RAJESH DASARI
  2019-12-30  9:22 ` RAJESH DASARI
@ 2020-01-13 13:48 ` Oliver Neukum
  2020-01-14  5:10   ` RAJESH DASARI
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Oliver Neukum @ 2020-01-13 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RAJESH DASARI, linux-usb

Am Donnerstag, den 26.12.2019, 15:01 +0530 schrieb RAJESH DASARI:
> Could someone please help, why the usb0 is down on Device A side and
> it there is any known issue or is this  expected behaviour?

Hi,

the kernel cannot just set devices running. Does it work if you up
the device (with "ip" or "ifconfig")? Your device on side A has no
IP. It cannot work. We need to determine whether this is a kernel
issue or your setup in user space.

	HTH
		Oliver


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Reg: USB network interface is down after the reboot
  2020-01-13 13:48 ` Oliver Neukum
@ 2020-01-14  5:10   ` RAJESH DASARI
  2020-01-14 17:15     ` Oliver Neukum
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: RAJESH DASARI @ 2020-01-14  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Neukum; +Cc: linux-usb

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your reply, Please find my response inline.

Thanks,
Rajesh Dasari.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 7:35 PM Oliver Neukum <oneukum@suse.com> wrote:
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 26.12.2019, 15:01 +0530 schrieb RAJESH DASARI:
> > Could someone please help, why the usb0 is down on Device A side and
> > it there is any known issue or is this  expected behaviour?
>
> Hi,
>
> the kernel cannot just set devices running. Does it work if you up
> the device (with "ip" or "ifconfig")?

Rajesh : if i make ifconfig usb0 up on device A side, device is coming
up and RUNNING bit is set,

Your device on side A has no
> IP. It cannot work.
Rajesh : If i assign the ip address to the usb0 interface then also
interface is coming up and RUNNING bit is set.
 We need to determine whether this is a kernel
> issue or your setup in user space.
Rajesh : If  i don't run ifconfig usb0 up or if i don't set the ip
address it is running bit is not set. Is it the standard behaviour.
Could you please tell me how to find out it is a user space issue or
kernel issue.
>
>         HTH
>                 Oliver
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Reg: USB network interface is down after the reboot
  2020-01-14  5:10   ` RAJESH DASARI
@ 2020-01-14 17:15     ` Oliver Neukum
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Oliver Neukum @ 2020-01-14 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RAJESH DASARI; +Cc: linux-usb

Am Dienstag, den 14.01.2020, 10:40 +0530 schrieb RAJESH DASARI:

> Rajesh : If i assign the ip address to the usb0 interface then also
> interface is coming up and RUNNING bit is set.
>  We need to determine whether this is a kernel
> > issue or your setup in user space.
> 
> Rajesh : If  i don't run ifconfig usb0 up or if i don't set the ip
> address it is running bit is not set. Is it the standard behaviour.
> Could you please tell me how to find out it is a user space issue or
> kernel issue.

Hi,

you have basically already answered the question. Your devices
are driven by cdc-ether. It cannot assign an IP. After you have
assigned an IP manually, your network is working. Hence the kernel
is fine. Your user space is misconfigured. You need to get help
from the people of whatever network configuration tool you distro
is using.

The USB list is not the place for such issues.

	HTH
		Oliver


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-12-26  9:31 Reg: USB network interface is down after the reboot RAJESH DASARI
2019-12-30  9:22 ` RAJESH DASARI
2020-01-13 13:48 ` Oliver Neukum
2020-01-14  5:10   ` RAJESH DASARI
2020-01-14 17:15     ` Oliver Neukum

Linux-USB Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/linux-usb/0 linux-usb/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 linux-usb linux-usb/ https://lore.kernel.org/linux-usb \
		linux-usb@vger.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index linux-usb

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.linux-usb


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git