linux-usb.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* USB_DWC3_OF_SIMPLE
@ 2020-01-08 16:19 Jonathan Thibault
From: Jonathan Thibault @ 2020-01-08 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-usb

Greetings,

I am currently trying to port OpenWRT to Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter 4 which
is a Cavium Octeon 7130.  While investigating to support XHCI (the
device has a single USB3 port), I ran into the dwc3 driver which
apparently supports that very chipset via the dwc3-of-simple glue.

Looking at Ubiquiti's own firmware, it seems they are using a modified
version of the standard xhci-platform driver.

So now I am faced with two different approaches:

1- Attempt to replicate Ubiquiti's modifications to xhci-plat.

2- Switch to dwc3-of-simple.

With option 1, so far, I can get xhci to load by merely adding a
'.compatible =' member to usb_xhci_of_match[], but the driver complains
about LPM algorithms and disables LPM (which may be fine, I don't know
if it is even supported on this device).

Option 2 (where you might hopefully help), potentially involves more
modification to the OpenWRT since their Octeon kernel config does not
appear to enable CONFIG_COMMON_CLK, which the driver depends on.  And I
do not know if I should also disable standard ohci and ehci drivers once
I manage to enable the USB_DWC3_OF_SIMPLE.

I'm looking for recommendations on the best approach.  Keep in mind that
while I can cobble together some ugly but functional hacks, I am not an
experienced kernel dev.

--
Jonathan Thibault
Analyste/Administrateur Réseau

* Re: USB_DWC3_OF_SIMPLE
@ 2020-01-09  9:02 ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2020-01-09  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Thibault, linux-usb

Jonathan Thibault <jonathan@navigue.com> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I am currently trying to port OpenWRT to Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter 4 which
> is a Cavium Octeon 7130.  While investigating to support XHCI (the
> device has a single USB3 port), I ran into the dwc3 driver which
> apparently supports that very chipset via the dwc3-of-simple glue.
>
> Looking at Ubiquiti's own firmware, it seems they are using a modified
> version of the standard xhci-platform driver.
>
> So now I am faced with two different approaches:
>
> 1- Attempt to replicate Ubiquiti's modifications to xhci-plat.
>
> 2- Switch to dwc3-of-simple.
>
> With option 1, so far, I can get xhci to load by merely adding a
> '.compatible =' member to usb_xhci_of_match[], but the driver complains
> about LPM algorithms and disables LPM (which may be fine, I don't know
> if it is even supported on this device).
>
> Option 2 (where you might hopefully help), potentially involves more
> modification to the OpenWRT since their Octeon kernel config does not
> appear to enable CONFIG_COMMON_CLK, which the driver depends on.  And I
> do not know if I should also disable standard ohci and ehci drivers once
> I manage to enable the USB_DWC3_OF_SIMPLE.
>
> I'm looking for recommendations on the best approach.  Keep in mind that
> while I can cobble together some ugly but functional hacks, I am not an
> experienced kernel dev.

Just switch to dwc3-of-simple, it already supports the SoC you're
dealing with. Try removing the dependency on CONFIG_COMMON_CLK. I think
we already get empty stubs when common clk is disabled.

If that works for you, that's an easy patch.

--
balbi

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: USB_DWC3_OF_SIMPLE
@ 2020-01-09 15:27   ` Jonathan Thibault
From: Jonathan Thibault @ 2020-01-09 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Balbi, linux-usb

Thanks for the quick reply.

On 2020-01-09 4:02 a.m., Felipe Balbi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jonathan Thibault <jonathan@navigue.com> writes:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am currently trying to port OpenWRT to Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter 4 which
>> is a Cavium Octeon 7130.  While investigating to support XHCI (the
>> device has a single USB3 port), I ran into the dwc3 driver which
>> apparently supports that very chipset via the dwc3-of-simple glue.
>>
>> Looking at Ubiquiti's own firmware, it seems they are using a modified
>> version of the standard xhci-platform driver.
>>
>> So now I am faced with two different approaches:
>>
>> 1- Attempt to replicate Ubiquiti's modifications to xhci-plat.
>>
>> 2- Switch to dwc3-of-simple.
>>
>> With option 1, so far, I can get xhci to load by merely adding a
>> '.compatible =' member to usb_xhci_of_match[], but the driver complains
>> about LPM algorithms and disables LPM (which may be fine, I don't know
>> if it is even supported on this device).
>>
>> Option 2 (where you might hopefully help), potentially involves more
>> modification to the OpenWRT since their Octeon kernel config does not
>> appear to enable CONFIG_COMMON_CLK, which the driver depends on.  And I
>> do not know if I should also disable standard ohci and ehci drivers once
>> I manage to enable the USB_DWC3_OF_SIMPLE.
>>
>> I'm looking for recommendations on the best approach.  Keep in mind that
>> while I can cobble together some ugly but functional hacks, I am not an
>> experienced kernel dev.
> Just switch to dwc3-of-simple, it already supports the SoC you're
> dealing with. Try removing the dependency on CONFIG_COMMON_CLK. I think
> we already get empty stubs when common clk is disabled.
>
> If that works for you, that's an easy patch.

Sadly, while it does build without the COMMON_CLK dependency, probing fails:

[    4.881646] dwc3 1680000000000.xhci: Configuration mismatch. dr_mode
forced to host
[    4.889574] dwc3 1690000000000.xhci: Configuration mismatch. dr_mode
forced to host
[    4.897546] dwc3-of-simple: probe of 1180068000000.uctl failed with
error -12
[    4.904715] dwc3-of-simple: probe of 1180069000000.uctl failed with
error -12

The return value suggests that it's from the if(!simple->clks) check in
dwc3_of_simple_clk_init().

The configuration mismatch warning is a bit of a mystery to me as well
since the only mode available in kernel config is USB_DWC3_HOST and what
I selected.  Would this be because the controller itself is reporting
another configuration?

--

@ 2020-01-15  8:56     ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2020-01-15  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)