linux-usb.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Andrey Konovalov <andreyknvl@google.com>
To: Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>
Cc: syzbot <syzbot+7bbcbe9c9ff0cd49592a@syzkaller.appspotmail.com>,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	USB list <linux-usb@vger.kernel.org>,
	Cesar Miquel <miquel@df.uba.ar>,
	rio500-users@lists.sourceforge.net,
	syzkaller-bugs <syzkaller-bugs@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: possible deadlock in open_rio
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 16:24:52 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 4:01 PM Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Aug 2019, Andrey Konovalov wrote:

> > > Andrey:
> > >
> > > This should be completely reproducible, since it's a simple ABBA
> > > locking violation.  Maybe just introducing a time delay (to avoid races
> > > and give the open() call time to run) between the gadget creation and
> > > gadget removal would be enough to do it.
> >
> > I've tried some simple approaches to reproducing this, but failed.
> > Should this require two rio500 devices to trigger?
>
> No, one device should be enough.  Just plug it in and then try to open
> the character device file.

OK, I've reproduced it, so I can test a patch manually. The reason
syzbot couldn't do that, is because it doesn't open character devices.
Right now the USB fuzzing instance only opens /dev/input*,
/dev/hidraw* and /dev/usb/hiddev* (only the devices that are created
by USB HID devices as I've been working on adding USB HID targeted
fuzzing support lately).

I guess we should open /dev/chr/* as well. The problem is that there
300+ devices there even without connecting USB devices and opening
them blindly probably won't work. Is there a way to know which
character devices are created by USB devices? Maybe they are exposed
over /sys/bus/usb or via some other way?