linux-usb.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Andrey Konovalov <andreyknvl@google.com>
To: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>,
	USB list <linux-usb@vger.kernel.org>,
	Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com>
Subject: Re: Exporting USB device ids from the kernel
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2019 14:47:16 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 5:49 PM Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 02, 2019 at 05:19:55PM +0100, Andrey Konovalov wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 6:57 PM Greg Kroah-Hartman
> > <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> > > Iterating over all of that is a mess, why not stick with the stuff we
> > > already are generating for modules to use?

> > > It could be done at build time, like the MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE() logic
> > > works, and that way you get it for all bus types, not just USB.  And
> > > this is a module issue really, right?  Yes, the mapping from module name
> > > to driver name is not always the same, but it should be close.
> >
> > I've tried to change MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE to always emit a device table
> > regardless of whether a module is being compiled or not. This doesn't
> > work just like that, because many modules use the same name for the
> > device table, and I get linking errors. Is this the approach you had
> > in mind? What would you suggest to do with name clash issue?
>
> It's a static variable, why is there a name clash?  Don't make it global :)

The device table variable that is passed to MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE() as
the second argument is static, but the alias variable that
MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE() generates is declared as extern, which makes it
global AFAIU.

> > > Otherwise, something in the driver core would be good to do, again, that
> > > way you get this for all busses/drivers.
> >
> > Could you point me to some source files where this would go into?
> > AFAIU with this we'll still need to implement a pretty printer for
> > each device table type, right?
>
> Probably yes, but note that all of the structures are defined in one
> place.  Look in scripts/mod/ for some idea of how some of this is done.

That dir I found. AFAIU what you suggested as "something in the driver
core" was some runtime logic that would expose all of the ids. Via the
bus_for_each_drv() logic and some debugfs entry, like what I did in
the patch that I've sent above, but in a more generic way that covers
all bus types. In this case may question is where to put such code.
And we'll still need custom logic for each bus type. Or did you mean
something else?