linux-usb.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* EHSET with hub and PCIe root hub
@ 2019-09-10 22:01 Allen Blaylock
From: Allen Blaylock @ 2019-09-10 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-usb

I am trying to validate the USB on an embedded platform based on the NXP i.MX7.
So far I have only been able to validate root ports on the board but also have a
PCIe xhci controller and a microchip USB3503 hub off of the HSIC port on the
SoC which I would like to run the tests on.

I have reviewed the mailing list archives and found another discussion of using
the EHSET driver to validate a driver and they reference the same issue I am
seeing. When I plug in the device I see
usb_ehset_test: probe of <port path> failed with error -32
for either the PCIe root hub or the USB3503 HSIC hub.

Further down in the mailing list chain Peter Chen states
> Besides, do not connect HUB between your host board and emulation board
> (for sending VID/PID).
but there is no additional information regarding this statement. Looking around
it looks like the hubs have some mechanism for being tested[0] and the HSETT
application for Windows supports testing of hubs according to the
documentation.[1]

Is this something there exists a module for or are either of these cases
unexpected behavior for the EHSET kernel module?

Allen

[0] http://www.testusb.com/Hub_test.html
[1] https://usb.org/sites/default/files/HSETT_Instruction_0_4_1.pdf