linux-usb.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: Authorization for Thunderbolt device is forgotten after each reboot
       [not found] <CAAs7NQRRJ4U0RQP1Y5VM4qrz7WX_ocuwouzen6pk2Q7HcAa76Q@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-08-04 15:40 ` Mika Westerberg
       [not found]   ` <CAAs7NQS85sbOumOziuiqs-VYgEs8Lyd4Kk2oqrOaVjTJCdQo+g@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mika Westerberg @ 2021-08-04 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Stedile; +Cc: andreas.noever, michael.jamet, YehezkelShB, linux-usb

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 02:46:30PM +0200, Andrea Stedile wrote:
>    [The previous email wasn't delivered to everyone because it exceeded
>    size limits due to a video attachment, therefore I am resending it with
>    a streamable link instead]
>    Hello,
>    I am Andrea Stedile, a computer science student from Italy. I would
>    like to report a problem which I suspect is attributable to some recent
>    changes in the Thunderbolt driver. I am using Fedora 34 with Gnome 40.
>    I have already reported the problem to the distribution's Bugzilla [1].
>    The problem is as follows:
>    I have a Thunderbolt monitor [2] connected to my laptop. The
>    Thunderbolt monitor has an integrated USB dock, to which I attach my
>    mouse and keyboard dongles. With kernel 5.12.17-300 and before, I used
>    to boot up and the mouse and keyboard were functional.
>    After upgrading to kernel 5.13.4-200, at every boot, the mouse and
>    keyboard are not functional. I see in the GNOME settings that I have to
>    explicitly authorize the monitor with a button saying "Authorize and
>    Connect". Even though I do so, after rebooting, this setting is
>    "forgotten" and I have to tweak the setting again in order to make the
>    mouse and keyboard functional.

There was regression in v5.13 and it was fixed with following revert:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/usb.git/commit/?h=usb-linus&id=8e3341257e3b5774ec8cd3ef1ba0c0d3fada322b

This will go to mainline soon and then to stable trees. Can you try if
it fixes your issue too?

@ 2021-08-09  9:43     ` Mika Westerberg
       [not found]       ` <CAAs7NQSRW5wE667iHTvUy38gBRwjh8kh3Zs_i=o3cj-Jqp=wvw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mika Westerberg @ 2021-08-09  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Stedile; +Cc: andreas.noever, michael.jamet, YehezkelShB, linux-usb

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 08:59:09PM +0200, Andrea Stedile wrote:
>    Hi Mika,
>    Thanks a lot for answering.
>    I would like to try it out, but I've never compiled a driver before.
>    Could you perhaps send me a guide or some instructions? I have
>    downloaded the git repository you sent [1], but I don't know what to do
>    next. Moreover, how can I revert the change after I have concluded the
>    test?

The fix is now in v5.14-rc5 mainline kernel too so you don't need to do
the revert. Probably lands in stable kernels pretty soon and ends up in
your distro kernel within few weeks.

If you don't want to wait there is some documentation how to build your
own kernel here:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/index.html

In a nutshell it is something like:

  $ make localmodconfig
  $ make nconfig # if you need to tune the config
  $ make -jMANY
  $ sudo make modules_install
  $ sudo make install

@ 2021-08-23 13:59         ` Mika Westerberg
From: Mika Westerberg @ 2021-08-23 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Stedile; +Cc: andreas.noever, michael.jamet, YehezkelShB, linux-usb

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 03:07:58PM +0200, Andrea Stedile wrote:
>    Hi,
>    I just wanted to let you know that 5.13.12 fixed the issue already for
>    me and others.
>    Thank you, and have a great day.
>    Andrea

Great! Thanks for the update and sorry about the breakage.