linux-usb.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* proposal: move Linux userspace USB gadget projects to linux-usb GitHub organisation?
@ 2021-01-19 20:06 ` Paul Wise
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Paul Wise @ 2021-01-19 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Krzysztof Opasiak, Matt Porter,
	Andrzej Pietrasiewicz, Karol Lewandowski
  Cc: linux-usb

Hi Greg, all,

Right now all the Linux userspace USB gadget projects (libusbg,
libusbgx, gt, gadgetd, cmtp-responder etc) are spread out across
different GitHub organisations and user accounts.

https://github.com/libusbg/libusbg
https://github.com/libusbgx/libusbgx
https://github.com/kopasiak/gt
https://github.com/gadgetd/gadgetd
https://github.com/cmtp-responder/cmtp-responder

I would like to move each of these projects to the linux-usb GitHub
organisation and add some more folks to the list of admins so that
these projects can be more collaboratively maintained. The linux-usb
GitHub organisation is currently solely owned by Greg Kroah-Hartman.

https://github.com/linux-usb

I don't propose to move maintenance of these projects to kernel.org
since the issue and pull request databases for them are on GitHub and
would need to be preserved.

--
bye,
pabs

https://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/

* Re: proposal: move Linux userspace USB gadget projects to linux-usb GitHub organisation?
@ 2021-01-19 20:15   ` Krzysztof Opasiak
From: Krzysztof Opasiak @ 2021-01-19 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Wise, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Matt Porter,
	Andrzej Pietrasiewicz, Karol Lewandowski
  Cc: linux-usb

On 19.01.2021 21:06, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi Greg, all,
>
> Right now all the Linux userspace USB gadget projects (libusbg,
> libusbgx, gt, gadgetd, cmtp-responder etc) are spread out across
> different GitHub organisations and user accounts.

Anything that could increase the bandwidth on the components that I
maintain makes perfect sense to me.
I've been moved to a little bit different challenges and I've very
little to no time for the maintenance...

--
Krzysztof Opasiak
Samsung R&D Institute Poland

* Re: proposal: move Linux userspace USB gadget projects to linux-usb GitHub organisation?
@ 2021-01-20 11:58     ` Andrzej Pietrasiewicz
From: Andrzej Pietrasiewicz @ 2021-01-20 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Opasiak, Paul Wise, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Matt Porter,
	Karol Lewandowski
  Cc: linux-usb

Hi,

W dniu 19.01.2021 o 21:15, Krzysztof Opasiak pisze:

> On 19.01.2021 21:06, Paul Wise wrote:
>> Hi Greg, all,
>>
>> Right now all the Linux userspace USB gadget projects (libusbg,
>> libusbgx, gt, gadgetd, cmtp-responder etc) are spread out across
>> different GitHub organisations and user accounts.
>
> Anything that could increase the bandwidth on the components that I
> maintain makes perfect sense to me.
> I've been moved to a little bit different challenges and I've very
> little to no time for the maintenance...

I can offer 2h/week to help maintaining/developing.

(re-pasting the links to de-obfuscate them after Krzysztof's reply)

https://github.com/libusbg/libusbg
https://github.com/libusbgx/libusbgx
https://github.com/kopasiak/gt
https://github.com/gadgetd/gadgetd
https://github.com/cmtp-responder/cmtp-responder

As far as I know switching from libusbg to libusbgx is a move endorsed by
libusbg's author.
@Matt: Am I right?

For sure gt depends on libusbgx, not libusbg.

>> I would like to move each of these projects to the linux-usb GitHub
>> organisation and add some more folks to the list of admins so that
>> these projects can be more collaboratively maintained. The linux-usb
>> GitHub organisation is currently solely owned by Greg Kroah-Hartman.

https://github.com/linux-usb

>> I don't propose to move maintenance of these projects to kernel.org
>> since the issue and pull request databases for them are on GitHub and
>> would need to be preserved.

Having an umbrella project for userspace USB gadget projects seems
a good idea to me.

Andrzej

* Re: proposal: move Linux userspace USB gadget projects to linux-usb GitHub organisation?
@ 2021-01-20 15:19   ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2021-01-20 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Wise
  Cc: Krzysztof Opasiak, Matt Porter, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz,
	Karol Lewandowski, linux-usb

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 04:06:59AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi Greg, all,
>
> Right now all the Linux userspace USB gadget projects (libusbg,
> libusbgx, gt, gadgetd, cmtp-responder etc) are spread out across
> different GitHub organisations and user accounts.
>
> https://github.com/libusbg/libusbg
> https://github.com/libusbgx/libusbgx
> https://github.com/kopasiak/gt
> https://github.com/gadgetd/gadgetd
> https://github.com/cmtp-responder/cmtp-responder

If you can get the "owners" of these repos to agree, than sure.

But we should work out the libusbg and libusbx issue, which is really
the "latest" one?

> I would like to move each of these projects to the linux-usb GitHub
> organisation and add some more folks to the list of admins so that
> these projects can be more collaboratively maintained. The linux-usb
> GitHub organisation is currently solely owned by Greg Kroah-Hartman.
>
> https://github.com/linux-usb
>
> I don't propose to move maintenance of these projects to kernel.org
> since the issue and pull request databases for them are on GitHub and
> would need to be preserved.

If you are moving the repos, why do you care about the issue and pull
request database anymore?  Will they just not end up going away?

I'm fine with keeping these on github, kernel.org is a great solution
for kernel developers to use, but that's about it :)

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: proposal: move Linux userspace USB gadget projects to linux-usb GitHub organisation?
@ 2021-01-20 15:34     ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2021-01-20 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: Paul Wise, Krzysztof Opasiak, Matt Porter, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz,
	Karol Lewandowski, linux-usb

Greg,

> On Jan 20, 2021, at 10:19 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>> I don't propose to move maintenance of these projects to kernel.org
>> since the issue and pull request databases for them are on GitHub and
>> would need to be preserved.
>
> If you are moving the repos, why do you care about the issue and pull
> request database anymore?  Will they just not end up going away?

Moving the Github projects under a new owner/organization will also move the issues and pull requests. You only lose the info if you fork the project under the new organization...

________________________
Michael Sweet

* Re: proposal: move Linux userspace USB gadget projects to linux-usb GitHub organisation?
@ 2021-01-20 15:39     ` Paul Wise
From: Paul Wise @ 2021-01-20 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: Krzysztof Opasiak, Matt Porter, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz,

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 16:19 +0100, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> If you can get the "owners" of these repos to agree, than sure.

Excellent, please invite these GitHub users to the linux-usb admin
list, so that they can move the projects if they want to.

Matt Porter: @ohporter (for libusbg)
Krzysztof Opasiak: @kopasiak (for libusbgx, gt)
Karol Lewandowski: @lmctl (for gadgetd)
Andrzej Pietrasiewicz: @andrzejtp (for cmtp-responder)

If you would like to invite me too, I'm @pabs3 on GitHub.

I expect some other folks on linux-usb might like to join too.

> But we should work out the libusbg and libusbx issue, which is really
> the "latest" one?

libusbgx is a fork of libusbg and is more recently updated.

I'd suggest to also move libusbg and archive it (make it read-only).

> If you are moving the repos, why do you care about the issue and pull
> request database anymore?  Will they just not end up going away?

When moving projects (as opposed to forking them), GitHub moves
everything along with the git repo, including issues and pull requests.

--

@ 2021-01-25 15:02       ` Michael Grzeschik
From: Michael Grzeschik @ 2021-01-25 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Wise
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Krzysztof Opasiak, Matt Porter,
	Andrzej Pietrasiewicz, Karol Lewandowski, linux-usb

Hi!

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 11:39:22PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 16:19 +0100, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
>
>> If you can get the "owners" of these repos to agree, than sure.
>
>Excellent, please invite these GitHub users to the linux-usb admin
>list, so that they can move the projects if they want to.
>
>Matt Porter: @ohporter (for libusbg)
>Krzysztof Opasiak: @kopasiak (for libusbgx, gt)
>Karol Lewandowski: @lmctl (for gadgetd)
>Andrzej Pietrasiewicz: @andrzejtp (for cmtp-responder)
>
>If you would like to invite me too, I'm @pabs3 on GitHub.
>
>I expect some other folks on linux-usb might like to join too.

After the ptp-gadget on git.denx.de is no longer available there,
I moved the latest stack of the project to my own github account.

https://github.com/mgrzeschik/ptp-gadget

This could be added as well.

Thanks,
Michael

>> But we should work out the libusbg and libusbx issue, which is really
>> the "latest" one?
>
>libusbgx is a fork of libusbg and is more recently updated.
>
>I'd suggest to also move libusbg and archive it (make it read-only).
>
>> If you are moving the repos, why do you care about the issue and pull
>> request database anymore?  Will they just not end up going away?
>
>When moving projects (as opposed to forking them), GitHub moves
>everything along with the git repo, including issues and pull requests.
>
>--
>bye,
>pabs
>
>https://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: proposal: move Linux userspace USB gadget projects to linux-usb GitHub organisation?
@ 2021-02-05 23:35     ` Paul Wise
From: Paul Wise @ 2021-02-05 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: Krzysztof Opasiak, Matt Porter, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz,
	Karol Lewandowski, linux-usb

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 16:19 +0100, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> If you can get the "owners" of these repos to agree, than sure.

A couple of owners of these repos have already agreed.

If you would like me to do the transition, I'm @pabs3 on GitHub.

Do you think the Linux Foundation, Samsung, Collabora or another
company might be interested in investing in maintenance of the Linux
userspace USB gadget projects? If so I would be happy to be paid to do
some initial polish on the projects and to shepherd continued community
maintenance afterwards as well as package them for Debian and other
distributions. If not I'll have less time for that but might at least
bring the projects up to where they can be added to Debian.

--

@ 2021-02-06 13:14       ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2021-02-06 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Wise
  Cc: Krzysztof Opasiak, Matt Porter, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz,

On Sat, Feb 06, 2021 at 07:35:00AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 16:19 +0100, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
>
> > If you can get the "owners" of these repos to agree, than sure.
>
> A couple of owners of these repos have already agreed.
>
> If you would like me to do the transition, I'm @pabs3 on GitHub.

I still don't see the benefit here, what is this going to change?

> Do you think the Linux Foundation, Samsung, Collabora or another
> company might be interested in investing in maintenance of the Linux
> userspace USB gadget projects?

I have no idea, sorry.

> If so I would be happy to be paid to do
> some initial polish on the projects and to shepherd continued community
> maintenance afterwards as well as package them for Debian and other
> distributions.

If Debian hasn't already packaged up any of these, that's a huge
indication that no one actually uses them :)

> If not I'll have less time for that but might at least
> bring the projects up to where they can be added to Debian.

What projects are not in Debian already that somehow need to be there?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: proposal: move Linux userspace USB gadget projects to linux-usb GitHub organisation?
@ 2021-02-06 23:28         ` Paul Wise
From: Paul Wise @ 2021-02-06 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: Krzysztof Opasiak, Matt Porter, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz,

On Sat, 2021-02-06 at 14:14 +0100, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> I still don't see the benefit here, what is this going to change?

All the standard benefits of the GitHub organisations feature and
collaborative maintenance in general; a single location for related
projects, a stable location for projects that doesn't change as people
come and go, a single location for patches to go rather than a
collection of different forks, an easy way to continue maintenance when
people move on, not losing the issue and pull request database every
time there is a new fork, not having to change project name after forks
(see libusbg vs libusbgx), a focal point that leads to more usage and
code review as more people get involved.

> If Debian hasn't already packaged up any of these, that's a huge
> indication that no one actually uses them :)

I assume Android have their own thing but Samsung use them in Tizen,
Collabora use them and have a blog series on them. They haven't spread
outside of that due to poor marketing, every other situation seems to
use fiddly, manual and non-dynamic poking of files in configfs.

https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/search-results.html?search=gadget&id=655&simplesearch_offset=0

> What projects are not in Debian already that somehow need to be
> there?

All the Linux USB gadget stuff is missing from most distributions; the
core projects libusbg/libusbgx, gt, gadgetd and individual gadgets such
as cmtp-responder, ptp-gadget etc.

With non-Android Linux based phones (Pinephone & Librem) starting to
get a bit of traction, packaging the core + gadgets is needed.

--

@ 2021-02-14  2:17           ` Paul Wise
From: Paul Wise @ 2021-02-14  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: Krzysztof Opasiak, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz, Karol Lewandowski, linux-usb

On Sun, 2021-02-07 at 07:28 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> All the standard benefits of the GitHub organisations feature and
> collaborative maintenance in general

Since the linux-usb GitHub organisation isn't yet available for
collaborative maintenance of Linux userspace USB gadget projects on
GitHub, we will create a linux-usb-gadgets GitHub organisation and can
move gadget projects to the linux-usb org when it becomes available.

--

@ 2021-02-15  9:53             ` Andrzej Pietrasiewicz
From: Andrzej Pietrasiewicz @ 2021-02-15  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Wise, Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: Krzysztof Opasiak, Karol Lewandowski, linux-usb

W dniu 14.02.2021 o 03:17, Paul Wise pisze:
> On Sun, 2021-02-07 at 07:28 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>
>> All the standard benefits of the GitHub organisations feature and
>> collaborative maintenance in general
>
> Since the linux-usb GitHub organisation isn't yet available for
> collaborative maintenance of Linux userspace USB gadget projects on
> GitHub, we will create a linux-usb-gadgets GitHub organisation and can
> move gadget projects to the linux-usb org when it becomes available.

Any prospects of it "becoming available"?

Andrzej

* Re: proposal: move Linux userspace USB gadget projects to linux-usb GitHub organisation?
@ 2021-02-15 10:07               ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2021-02-15 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrzej Pietrasiewicz
  Cc: Paul Wise, Krzysztof Opasiak, Karol Lewandowski, linux-usb

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 10:53:16AM +0100, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz wrote:
> W dniu 14.02.2021 o 03:17, Paul Wise pisze:
> > On Sun, 2021-02-07 at 07:28 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> >
> > > All the standard benefits of the GitHub organisations feature and
> > > collaborative maintenance in general
> >
> > Since the linux-usb GitHub organisation isn't yet available for
> > collaborative maintenance of Linux userspace USB gadget projects on
> > GitHub, we will create a linux-usb-gadgets GitHub organisation and can
> > move gadget projects to the linux-usb org when it becomes available.
> >

> Any prospects of it "becoming available"?

I still fail to see what this is going to help with here.  Are usb
userspace projects going to somehow get loads of more developers
somehow this way?  What is preventing that from happening today that
dumping them all in a single project going to change?

Am I now somehow the arbitrator of what is, and is not, a valid project
to join?  We already have competing libraries scattered around, lumping
them all in a single location isn't going to change that problem from
what I can tell.

So, what problem would this solve that the added maintenance burden by me
and others would be worth it?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: proposal: move Linux userspace USB gadget projects to linux-usb GitHub organisation?
@ 2021-02-15 10:31                 ` Krzysztof Opasiak
From: Krzysztof Opasiak @ 2021-02-15 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz
  Cc: Paul Wise, Karol Lewandowski, linux-usb

Hi,

let me add my 3 cents here.

On 15.02.2021 11:07, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 10:53:16AM +0100, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz wrote:

>>> Since the linux-usb GitHub organisation isn't yet available for
>>> collaborative maintenance of Linux userspace USB gadget projects on
>>> GitHub, we will create a linux-usb-gadgets GitHub organisation and can
>>> move gadget projects to the linux-usb org when it becomes available.
>>>

>> Any prospects of it "becoming available"?
>
> I still fail to see what this is going to help with here.  Are usb
> userspace projects going to somehow get loads of more developers
> somehow this way?  What is preventing that from happening today that
> dumping them all in a single project going to change?

Partially it's my fault. I'd love to help with further libusbgx
development but in my work time I'm dealing now with some other
challenges and additional duties in private life does not allow me to
continue active development. I tried to at least review and merge pull
reqs but the context switch of my brain turned out to be to heavy.

> Am I now somehow the arbitrator of what is, and is not, a valid project
> to join?  We already have competing libraries scattered around, lumping
> them all in a single location isn't going to change that problem from
> what I can tell.

I already had this discussion with Matt Porter. We agreed that libusbg
is obsolete and libusbgx is the direct ancestor for it. If you take a
look into commit history you will see that libusbg is just a small piece
of libusbgx history.

Now when it comes to the other projects. My company actively uses two of
them in tizen:

- libusbgx
- gt

gadgetd has been developed by us but at the end of the day it was
dropped and the functionality has been simplified and merged to the
other system daemon that we have - deviced. For the two that are used in
tizen. They are just there and serve their purpose. They are definitely
not feature complete but the use case in which they are used there
pretty much is.

Based on what I see in github traffic I expect that the three projects
that definitely have some traction and interest are:

- libusbgx
- gt
- mtp-responder

> So, what problem would this solve that the added maintenance burden by me
> and others would be worth it?

 From organizational perspective I believe that keeping those 3 together
makes sense. Personally I don't have any strong preference under which
github org they are going to be published. For me the most important is
to have them easily accessible to people and have someone onboard who
can help with the maintenance.

Best regards,
--

@ 2021-02-25 13:24             ` Paul Wise
From: Paul Wise @ 2021-02-25 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Matt Porter
  Cc: Krzysztof Opasiak, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz, Karol Lewandowski, linux-usb

On Sun, 2021-02-14 at 10:17 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> Since the linux-usb GitHub organisation isn't yet available for
> collaborative maintenance of Linux userspace USB gadget projects on
> GitHub, we will create a linux-usb-gadgets GitHub organisation and can
> move gadget projects to the linux-usb org when it becomes available.

I have now created the linux-usb-gadgets GitHub organisation and
invited everyone who owns or committed to one of the relevant GitHub
repositories or otherwise might be interested in participating. If you
are one of the repository owners, please transfer it to the new org. If
there is anyone else interested in joining the org, please let us know.

https://github.com/linux-usb-gadgets

--

@ 2021-02-26 19:24               ` Mike Sweet
From: Mike Sweet @ 2021-02-26 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Wise
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Matt Porter, Krzysztof Opasiak,
	Andrzej Pietrasiewicz, Karol Lewandowski, linux-usb

Paul, please add me (GitHub user michaelrsweet) - I’m gearing up to work on the USB gadget documentation, with a goal of having it all up-to-date with many examples. Implementing IPP-USB has been an interesting challenge and I feel like I should do something to make the next developer’s life easier...

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2021-02-27  1:08                 ` Paul Wise
From: Paul Wise @ 2021-02-27  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Sweet
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Matt Porter, Krzysztof Opasiak,

On Fri, 2021-02-26 at 14:24 -0500, Mike Sweet wrote:

> Paul, please add me (GitHub user michaelrsweet)

Invited, you should get an email about it.

> I’m gearing up to work on the USB gadget documentation

I guess you mean the documentation in the Linux kernel repository,
I assume that the libusbgx/gt/gadgetd docs could use some work too.

> Implementing IPP-USB has been an interesting challenge

Are talking about a IPP-USB device implementation?
I can't find your implementation on your GitHub account,
could you provide a link, or is the code proprietary?

--

@ 2021-02-27  1:54                   ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2021-02-27  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Wise
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Matt Porter, Krzysztof Opasiak,
	Andrzej Pietrasiewicz, Karol Lewandowski, linux-usb

Paul,

> On Feb 26, 2021, at 8:08 PM, Paul Wise <pabs3@bonedaddy.net> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2021-02-26 at 14:24 -0500, Mike Sweet wrote:
>
>> Paul, please add me (GitHub user michaelrsweet)
>
> Invited, you should get an email about it.

Yes, thank you!

>> I’m gearing up to work on the USB gadget documentation
>
> I guess you mean the documentation in the Linux kernel repository,
> I assume that the libusbgx/gt/gadgetd docs could use some work too.

Primarily the first, but I’ll likely create libusbgx examples.

>> Implementing IPP-USB has been an interesting challenge
>
> Are talking about a IPP-USB device implementation?
> I can't find your implementation on your GitHub account,
> could you provide a link, or is the code proprietary?

It will soon show up in the PAPPL project alongside the other USB gadget bits. I’ve been prototyping in a private repo in preparation for adding it to PAPPL...

____________________
Michael Sweet

* Re: proposal: move Linux userspace USB gadget projects to linux-usb GitHub organisation?
@ 2021-07-13  3:43   ` Paul Wise
From: Paul Wise @ 2021-07-13  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Opasiak, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz, Karol Lewandowski, Matt Porter
  Cc: linux-usb

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 04:06 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> Right now all the Linux userspace USB gadget projects (libusbg,
> libusbgx, gt, gadgetd, cmtp-responder etc) are spread out across
> different GitHub organisations and user accounts.
>
> https://github.com/libusbg/libusbg
> https://github.com/libusbgx/libusbgx
> https://github.com/kopasiak/gt
> https://github.com/gadgetd/gadgetd
> https://github.com/cmtp-responder/cmtp-responder
>
> I would like to move each of these projects to the linux-usb GitHub
> organisation and add some more folks to the list of admins so that
> these projects can be more collaboratively maintained.

FYI, we have now moved libusbgx, gt and ptp-gadget across:

https://github.com/linux-usb-gadgets/libusbgx
https://github.com/linux-usb-gadgets/gt
https://github.com/linux-usb-gadgets/ptp-gadget

We still need to move gadgetd/libusbg and archive libusbg.

We are also interested in finding funding for development.

--

@ 2021-07-13  4:53     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-07-13  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Wise
  Cc: Krzysztof Opasiak, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz, Karol Lewandowski,
	Matt Porter, linux-usb

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 11:43:57AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 04:06 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>
> > Right now all the Linux userspace USB gadget projects (libusbg,
> > libusbgx, gt, gadgetd, cmtp-responder etc) are spread out across
> > different GitHub organisations and user accounts.
> >
> > https://github.com/libusbg/libusbg
> > https://github.com/libusbgx/libusbgx
> > https://github.com/kopasiak/gt
> > https://github.com/gadgetd/gadgetd
> > https://github.com/cmtp-responder/cmtp-responder
> >
> > I would like to move each of these projects to the linux-usb GitHub
> > organisation and add some more folks to the list of admins so that
> > these projects can be more collaboratively maintained.
>
> FYI, we have now moved libusbgx, gt and ptp-gadget across:
>
> https://github.com/linux-usb-gadgets/libusbgx
> https://github.com/linux-usb-gadgets/gt
> https://github.com/linux-usb-gadgets/ptp-gadget
>
> We still need to move gadgetd/libusbg and archive libusbg.

What do you mean "archive libusbg"?

> We are also interested in finding funding for development.

What type of funding and for what specific development?  What is lacking
in the current projects here that needs to be resolved?  And who have
you asked for funding from so far?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: proposal: move Linux userspace USB gadget projects to linux-usb GitHub organisation?
@ 2021-07-13  5:40       ` Paul Wise
From: Paul Wise @ 2021-07-13  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH
  Cc: Krzysztof Opasiak, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz, Karol Lewandowski,
	Matt Porter, linux-usb

On Tue, 2021-07-13 at 06:53 +0200, Greg KH wrote:

> What do you mean "archive libusbg"?

GitHub repositories can be made read-only to indicate that they are no
longer being developed, this is known as "archiving".

https://github.blog/2017-11-08-archiving-repositories/

> What type of funding and for what specific development?
> What is lacking in the current projects here that needs to be
> resolved? And who have you asked for funding from so far?

The work needed is varied; the bugs/patches backlog, possibly porting
to newer library APIs, cleaning up build complaints, cleaning up static
and dynamic analysis complaints, integration with system software,
integration with mobile user interfaces, integration into distros,
automated testing with dummy_hcd, testing on devices, improving
documentation, promoting the tools, encouraging gadget authors to use
the tools, engaging with the user community, potentially additional UDC
drivers if any are missing, ongoing maintenance and anything else that
comes up during the course of that work.

I've mentioned the need for investment in the Linux userspace USB
gadget projects offlist to yourself, the other folks in CC, Bootlin and
a few other folks around the Linux ARM/mobile space.

--

@ 2021-07-13  6:37         ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-07-13  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Wise
  Cc: Krzysztof Opasiak, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz, Karol Lewandowski,
	Matt Porter, linux-usb

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 01:40:27PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-07-13 at 06:53 +0200, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > What do you mean "archive libusbg"?
> >

> GitHub repositories can be made read-only to indicate that they are no
> longer being developed, this is known as "archiving".
>
> https://github.blog/2017-11-08-archiving-repositories/

Ah, hopefully people actually realize this :)

> > What type of funding and for what specific development?
> > What is lacking in the current projects here that needs to be
> > resolved? And who have you asked for funding from so far?
>

> The work needed is varied; the bugs/patches backlog, possibly porting
> to newer library APIs, cleaning up build complaints, cleaning up static
> and dynamic analysis complaints, integration with system software,
> integration with mobile user interfaces, integration into distros,
> automated testing with dummy_hcd, testing on devices, improving
> documentation, promoting the tools, encouraging gadget authors to use
> the tools, engaging with the user community, potentially additional UDC
> drivers if any are missing, ongoing maintenance and anything else that
> comes up during the course of that work.
>
> I've mentioned the need for investment in the Linux userspace USB
> gadget projects offlist to yourself, the other folks in CC, Bootlin and
> a few other folks around the Linux ARM/mobile space.

I find it suprising that if these projects are really being used, and
there are problems, that none of the companies using them are
contributing back to the projects for these issues.

The technical things should be easy for those companies to help with,
the "advocacy" is a different thing, and that you should be able to do
today by submitting talks to conferences to get the word out.  Almost
all conferences have travel stipends for speakers that are not sponsored
by companies to travel.

good luck!

greg k-h

* Re: proposal: move Linux userspace USB gadget projects to linux-usb GitHub organisation?
@ 2021-07-14  2:11           ` Paul Wise
From: Paul Wise @ 2021-07-14  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH
  Cc: Krzysztof Opasiak, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz, Karol Lewandowski,