linux-usb.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: "Tj (Elloe Linux)" <ml.linux@elloe.vision>
To: Oliver Neukum <oneukum@suse.de>, Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: linux-usb <linux-usb@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: uas: bug: [sda] tag#21 uas_eh_abort_handler 0 uas-tag 6 inflight: IN
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:25:18 +0100	[thread overview]

On 20/07/2020 09:51, Oliver Neukum wrote:

>> These repeated 'zaps' and resets every 30 seconds or so are not errors?
>
> They are errors. But whose errors? 0x28 looks like a READ10 to me.
> In other words at least Test Unit Ready and READ_CAPACITY have
> already worked at this stage.
> Without a trace it is not clear what exactly this read is for.
> Is it always the same READ?
>
> This looks like the error handling UAS does when a command times out.
>
>> They never stop even though the devices are not mounted nor being
>> accessed (by users).

>>> So only the block layer is reporting errors, not the USB layer?  Any usb
>>> controller errors?
>
> The error is from the SCSI layer strictly speaking. It notices that a
> command is taking longer than allowed and directs UAS to do error
> handling. SUbsequently an error is reported up to the block layer.
>
> The problem is that we have a lot of unusual stuff being tested.

I've just built a kernel with more debugging options enabled and will
find time later today to install and test.

We have limited windows of time to test due to the Mox being our primary
gateway but I've ordered another Mox A (the main CPU module) so we can
test at will.

I'll update with the additional logs later.

Our Mox has maximum additional modules connected (they're named A
through G). The main CPU module (A) has its own USB3 port (presumably
via the SoC) but we're using the 4x USB3 module (F) which, I think, uses
a separate PCIe controller.

In our earlier tests the module A USB3 port wasn't active presumably
because we missed off a config option. Once we're corrected that we'll
test on the SoC USB3 port to help narrow down the responsible kernel
module(s) and layers.

https://www.turris.com/en/mox/modules/