linux-watchdog.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net>
To: "Uwe Kleine-König" <u.kleine-koenig@pengutronix.de>,
	"Wim Van Sebroeck" <wim@linux-watchdog.org>,
	"Rob Herring" <robh+dt@kernel.org>,
	"Frank Rowand" <frowand.list@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-watchdog@vger.kernel.org, devicetree@vger.kernel.org,
	kernel@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [RFC] Using a watchdog as system reset
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 07:29:11 -0700	[thread overview]

On 10/6/20 4:56 AM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On 10/6/20 3:29 AM, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an i.MX25 system here with an external watchdog (using the
>> gpio_wdt driver). So the internal watchdog (imx2_wdt) is unused.
>>
>> The problem with the unused imx2_wdt is that this usually provides the
>> restart handler and now a reboot ends with
>>
>> 	reboot: Restarting system
>> 	Reboot failed -- System halted
>>
>> until eventually the watchdog bites and resets the machine.
>>
>> I imagine that this is a common enough issue to warrant a generic
>> solution. My suggestion is to formalize and implement something like:
>>
>> 	watchdog {
>> 		compatible = "linux,wdt-gpio";
>> 		provide-system-reset;
>> 	}
>>
>> with the sematic of: "This is the dedicated mechanism to reset this
>> machine."
>>

> Some systems have more than one means to reset it, which is why
> restart handlers have a priority. This in turn suggests that we should
> maybe have a means to set that priority dynamically for the imx2_wdt driver
> (or for watchdog drivers in general) instead of having it fixed at 128.
> That would also solve your problem, assuming there is a different
> (currently lower priority) means to reset the hardware in your system.
>
> Alternatively, can't you just blacklist the imx2-wdt driver ?

After having another couple hours of sleep and a coffee, I wonder if
this is already done, and the reboot just fails _because_ the imx2_wdt
is _not_ loaded. Is that the case ?

If so, it looks like you want the reset functionality of the imx_wdt driver
but not its watchdog functionality. And the above would be a suggestion
to add a "generic" restart functionality into the watchdog subsystem,
one that uses a watchdog with minimum timeout to reset the system,
even if its driver doesn't explicitly register a restart handler.
Is that what you are trying to suggest ?

Thanks,
Guenter