linux-watchdog.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Samsung based S3C2440A chipset - watchdog timer issue
@ 2019-09-19  7:40 Suniel Mahesh
From: Suniel Mahesh @ 2019-09-19  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kgene, krzk, wim, linux, heiko; +Cc: linux-samsung-soc, linux-watchdog

Hi,

I am working on one of the Samsung based S3C2440A chipset based target .

I have couple of questions and I request someone to shed some light on these: (Thank you)

The watchdog driver in linux, looks like, it just configured WDT but didn't start it (code snippet included below).

May i know the reasson why WDT is not started ? Is it because u-boot already started WDT, implies it is not required to do the
same once we jump into linux ? or is there any specific reason ?

drivers/watchdog/s3c2410_wdt.c (line 53 and lines 616 - 625)

#define S3C2410_WATCHDOG_ATBOOT         (0)
static int tmr_atboot   = S3C2410_WATCHDOG_ATBOOT;
if (tmr_atboot && started == 0) {
                dev_info(dev, "starting watchdog timer\n");
                s3c2410wdt_start(&wdt->wdt_device);
        } else if (!tmr_atboot) {
                /* if we're not enabling the watchdog, then ensure it is
                 * disabled if it has been left running from the bootloader
                 * or other source */

                s3c2410wdt_stop(&wdt->wdt_device);
        }

Tried to start WDT in linux by assigning value 1 to S3C2410_WATCHDOG_ATBOOT. The target resets.

please comment.

Thanks--
Suniel Mahesh