linux-watchdog.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* iTCO watchdog last reboot reason?
@ 2020-08-04 14:41 Naveen Kumar P
From: Naveen Kumar P @ 2020-08-04 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-watchdog; +Cc: linux-kernel

[ Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the list]

Hi everyone,

I enabled the iTCO watchdog in my Linux system.

sudo cat /dev/watchdog perfectly reboots my system. But, is there a
way to find out on each boot if the machine was rebooted due to a
watchdog timeout or not?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Naveen

* Re: iTCO watchdog last reboot reason?
@ 2020-08-04 16:15 ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2020-08-04 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naveen Kumar P, linux-watchdog; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 8/4/20 7:41 AM, Naveen Kumar P wrote:
> [ Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the list]
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I enabled the iTCO watchdog in my Linux system.
>
> sudo cat /dev/watchdog perfectly reboots my system. But, is there a
> way to find out on each boot if the machine was rebooted due to a
> watchdog timeout or not?
>
> Any ideas?

If the hardware supports it, the driver could set the reboot reason
in its probe function.

Guenter

* Re: iTCO watchdog last reboot reason?
@ 2020-08-04 17:09   ` Naveen Kumar P
From: Naveen Kumar P @ 2020-08-04 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guenter Roeck; +Cc: linux-watchdog, linux-kernel

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 9:45 PM Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:

> On 8/4/20 7:41 AM, Naveen Kumar P wrote:
> > [ Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the list]
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I enabled the iTCO watchdog in my Linux system.
> >
> > sudo cat /dev/watchdog perfectly reboots my system. But, is there a
> > way to find out on each boot if the machine was rebooted due to a
> > watchdog timeout or not?
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> If the hardware supports it, the driver could set the reboot reason
> in its probe function.
Thank you Guenter for the quick response. Can you please point me to
the corresponding patch?

@ 2020-08-04 17:18     ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2020-08-04 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naveen Kumar P; +Cc: linux-watchdog, linux-kernel

On 8/4/20 10:09 AM, Naveen Kumar P wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 9:45 PM Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 8/4/20 7:41 AM, Naveen Kumar P wrote:
>>> [ Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the list]
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I enabled the iTCO watchdog in my Linux system.
>>>
>>> sudo cat /dev/watchdog perfectly reboots my system. But, is there a
>>> way to find out on each boot if the machine was rebooted due to a
>>> watchdog timeout or not?
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> If the hardware supports it, the driver could set the reboot reason
>> in its probe function.
> Thank you Guenter for the quick response. Can you please point me to
> the corresponding patch?

I didn't say that one exists, nor that it is possible to actually implement
what I suggested. I only stated a possibility. Please feel free to implement,
test, and submit such a patch yourself.

Thanks,
Guenter