* MX27 libertas_sdio SDIO Interrupts vs available bitrate
@ 2010-07-29 10:46 Andreas Feuersinger
From: Andreas Feuersinger @ 2010-07-29 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libertas-dev, linux-mmc, linux-wireless

Hi,

I'm trying to improve throughput of the Marvell 8686 sdio wlan module.
Unfortunately I have to stick with kernel 2.6.22.

Everything works except for very bad datarate. So far the mxc_mmc
driver does not handle any SDIO interrupts. Could that be the reason
for the bad performance?

I figured, it does not make any difference wheter I use DMA for data
transfer or not (odd?)

I get only up to 90K/s.

thanks!

Andreas

* Re: MX27 libertas_sdio SDIO Interrupts vs available bitrate
@ 2010-07-29 12:51 ` Julien Boibessot
From: Julien Boibessot @ 2010-07-29 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Feuersinger; +Cc: libertas-dev, linux-mmc, linux-wireless

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Feuersinger a écrit :
> I'm trying to improve throughput of the Marvell 8686 sdio wlan module.
> Unfortunately I have to stick with kernel 2.6.22.
>
> Everything works except for very bad datarate. So far the mxc_mmc
> driver does not handle any SDIO interrupts. Could that be the reason
> for the bad performance?

Definitly !
(I had the same "problem" on my i.MX27 platform before using SDIO
interrupts)

Regards,
Julien
http://www.armadeus.com

* RE: MX27 libertas_sdio SDIO Interrupts vs available bitrate
@ 2010-07-30 20:08 ` Gabay, Benzy
From: Gabay, Benzy @ 2010-07-30 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Feuersinger; +Cc: libertas-dev, linux-mmc, linux-wireless

Hi Andreas

If interrupts are not handled in MMC level and you are disabling DMA operation how then will the transfer completion is handled in that case?

> I get only up to 90K/s.
>

> thanks!
>
> Andreas

Cheers
      Benzy Gabay

* Re: MX27 libertas_sdio SDIO Interrupts vs available bitrate
@ 2010-08-02  6:40   ` Andreas Feuersinger
From: Andreas Feuersinger @ 2010-08-02  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabay, Benzy; +Cc: libertas-dev, linux-mmc, linux-wireless

Hi Benzy Gabay,

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:08:06 -0500
"Gabay, Benzy" <benzyg@ti.com> wrote:
> > I figured, it does not make any difference wheter I use DMA for data
> > transfer or not (odd?)
> If interrupts are not handled in MMC level and you are disabling DMA
> operation how then will the transfer completion is handled in that
> case?

PIO transfer is used in function mxcmci_cmd_done. A while loop cycles
and calls readl until the buffer is read.
Afterwards CRC checks and stuff is done.

Enabling DMA exits prior that code section calling mxc_dma_enable.

* Re: MX27 libertas_sdio SDIO Interrupts vs available bitrate
@ 2010-08-02 13:46   ` Andreas Feuersinger
From: Andreas Feuersinger @ 2010-08-02 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Boibessot; +Cc: libertas-dev, linux-mmc, linux-wireless

Hi Julien!

Julien Boibessot <julien.boibessot@free.fr> wrote:
> Andreas Feuersinger a écrit :
> > Everything works except for very bad datarate. So far the mxc_mmc
> > driver does not handle any SDIO interrupts. Could that be the reason
> > for the bad performance?
> >
> Definitly !
> (I had the same "problem" on my i.MX27 platform before using SDIO
> interrupts)

thank you! At least I know where to go ;)

While trying to enable SDIO handling I look at the mainline kernel
patch for SDIO interrupts in mxcmmc.c.

But in order to apply that I have to port that driver, introduced in
2.6.29 to my 2.6.22 kernel version.

In the first step I try to get it run without sdio support.
The driver seems to load helper firmware successfully and also real
firmware. After that it stops where the libertas driver says:
"waiting for firmware to boot."

Register status is as follows:
mxcmci_irq:status: <6>BUF_WRITE_RDY |<6>END_CMD_RESP |<6>BUF_UND_RUN
|<6>XBUF_EMPTY |<6>YBUF_EMPTY |<6>

Looks like stopped clock? Is the firmware supposed to start some cmd?

I have a different question:
Does anybody know if it is possible to boot freescale development board
mx27pdk  using kernel versions greater 2.6.30 ?

thanks

Andreas