From: Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@lwfinger.net>
To: Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <bigeasy@linutronix.de>,
	linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Support for RTL8188FU
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 11:47:44 -0500	[thread overview]

On 10/1/19 11:03 AM, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into support for RTL8188FU with the vendor driver next to
> me. There is a driver called rtl8188eu in staging. Is there a way to
> figure out the difference between E and F?
> Then there is rtl8xxxu outside of staging claiming to support
> RTL8188[CR]U. No idea what C & R is and how much difference there is
> towards F or E.
>
> Any suggestions what would be the best way towards support for the F
> chip?

A quick Internet search shows me that the RTL8188FU is a low-cost chip used on
Raspberry PI and other similar low-cost systems.

The USB group at Realtek is notorious for their lack of support for Linux
drivers. The ones they release have lots of dead code used for Windows and
FreeBSD drivers, and they have lots of code that applies to other chips. With
other drivers that I have placed at GitHub, some of the commits that remove dead
code will remove as many of 10K lines.

You should be able to find the code that differs between 8188EU and 8188FU to
see what is different.

The 8188RU is a special variant of the 8188EU. I have no idea what an 8188CU is.

Your only starting point is the driver that is next to you!

Larry