From: "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@gmail.com>
To: Pat Erley <pat-lkml@erley.org>, Felix Fietkau <nbd@openwrt.org>
Cc: Richard Farina <sidhayn@gmail.com>,
	Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolutions.net>,
	linux-wireless <linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Implement non standard channel widths
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 08:43:23 -0700	[thread overview]

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Pat Erley<pat-lkml@erley.org> wrote:
> Richard Farina wrote:
>> Johannes Berg wrote:
>>> Then, finally, I'd add a new channel type, NL80211_CHANNEL_TYPE_5MHZ.
>>> Document it to imply that HT is being turned off, of course. Now this
>>> bit should be really simple.
>>>

>> But why? There is no reason mcs rates can't be used on 5/10 Mhz channels
>> as far as I know. Bad enough these channels are running at half and
>> quarter rates, if you can use mcs why not?
>>
>> Just my 0.02
>>
>> thanks,
>> Rick Farina
>
> My thought on this topic is: design everything so these COULD be supported,
> but wait until someone tests/implements this functionality with a driver
> and needs support for them.  If I understood Johannes' description of things
> correctly, if it was found that a driver could do mcs rates in other channel
> widths, it'd be as simple as adding the values to the bitfields and that
> driver testing/implementing that functionality.
>
> What I guess it's come around to is:
>
> 1.  Change the way the current functionality is implemented
> 2.  Add additional values as it's added.
>
> What I believe johannes was saying is, during the implementation of 5/10mhz
> channels, disable ht/mcs modes up front, until someone shows/implements it.

You won't get support from vendors if the feature used is non-standard
though. Just keep that in mind. In fact I'm not sure its a good idea
to simply enable this off hand. We may want to consider a way to
annotate unsupported features if they are in fact very easy to
implement. So far we have simply opted to not support non-standard
features. I don't think we should strive away from that as I think it
has helped keep our code base clean and simple.

  Luis