From: Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
To: Ryszard <ryszard99@gmail.com>
Cc: Florian Fainelli <florian@openwrt.org>,
	Patrick McHardy <kaber@trash.net>,
	linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: virtual access poitns (ath5k/mac80211)
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 22:00:48 -0700	[thread overview]

On 08/01/2010 06:51 PM, Ryszard wrote:
> Hey ben,
>
> thanks for the reply on this.
>
> perhaps i'm missing something fundamental along the way.  here is what
> i've done:
>
> iw dev phy0 interface add sta0 type station
> iw dev wlan0 interface add sta0 type station
> iw dev wlan0 interface add sta1 type station
>
> iw dev wlan0 interface add vap0 type __ap
> iw dev wlan0 interface add vap1 type __a
>
> vap1, vap0, sta0 and sta1_rename
>
> output from iwconfig:
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:off/any
>           Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm
>           Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
> sta0      IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:off/any
>           Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm
>           Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
> sta1_rename  IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:off/any
>           Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm
>           Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
> vap0      IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:off/any
>           Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm
>           Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
> vap1      IEEE 802.11abg  Mode:Master  Frequency:2.457 GHz  Tx-Power=20 dBm
>           Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Power Management:off
> to get the interface up i've used macchanger on one of the vap
> interfaces.  I've also got (isc) DHCP set and listening on the vapn and
> when i run hostapd on the vapn interface i get mon.vapn .  using a
> wireless client, i can get an ip address assigned from one interface
> (vap0), but not the other.  I also get a call trace in syslog which i
> guess could be the very problem.
>
> I realise i've not listed a specific course of events/driver versions
> i've followed here, but i am willing to lay it all down in a blow by
> blow repeatable sequence if thats what it takes.  in fact aside from
> coding (i'm not a coder except for perl) i'm willing to do whatever to
> get it working, and provide any doco for the community...

Well, please show the trace.  Also, are you loading the driver with
hwcrypt disabled?

Here are my notes (ath9k doesn't work yet, btw).

# Make udev get out of the way

vi /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules
or, for F11:
vi /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules

# device name whitelist
#KERNEL!="eth*|ath*|wlan*[0-9]|ra*|sta*|ctc*|lcs*|hsi*", GOTO="persistent_net_generator_end"
KERNEL!="eth*|ath*|ra*|ctc*|lcs*|hsi*", GOTO="persistent_net_generator_end"

# Skip virtual interfaces of all types.
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR(iflink)!="0", GOTO="persistent_net_generator_end"

# delete lines similar to this in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, if it exists.
# PCI device 0x168c:0x0013 (ath5k)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:0b:6b:83:5f:a6", ATTR{type}=="1", NAME="wlan0"

# Fix up modprobe.conf to turn off hwaccel for ath5k:
echo options ath5k nohwcrypt=1 >> /etc/modprobe.d/ath5k.conf
echo options ath9k nohwcrypt=1 >> /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf

# Mount debug-fs
echo debugfs                 /debug                  debugfs    defaults        0 0 >> /etc/fstab
mkdir /debug

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>