* Master mode in rtl8187
@ 2010-07-21 18:17 Ben Gamari
From: Ben Gamari @ 2010-07-21 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Benc, linux-wireless, Michael Wu, Andrea Merello

Hey all,

I recently purchased a Netgear WG111v2 (based on rtl8187b) and after
seeing scattered reports[1] that master mode may be supported by the
rtl8187 driver. Unfortunately, hostapd throws up when it attempts to put
the card into master mode. Is master mode supported by this driver? I've
tried both 2.6.34 as well as the latest wireless-testing tree and
neither seem to work.

I noticed there was a patch[2] sent out a few years back, but it seems
no one followed up. While I don't have much experience working with
wireless hardware I've done kernel driver work before, so with some
guidance I might be able to finish up that patch. Any input would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Ben

[1] http://osdir.com/ml/linux.kernel.wireless.general/2007-07/msg00289.html
[2] http://osdir.com/ml/linux.kernel.wireless.general/2007-06/msg00455.html

* Re: Master mode in rtl8187
@ 2010-07-21 19:19 ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2010-07-21 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Gamari; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 07/21/2010 01:17 PM, Ben Gamari wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I recently purchased a Netgear WG111v2 (based on rtl8187b) and after
> seeing scattered reports[1] that master mode may be supported by the
> rtl8187 driver. Unfortunately, hostapd throws up when it attempts to put
> the card into master mode. Is master mode supported by this driver? I've
> tried both 2.6.34 as well as the latest wireless-testing tree and
> neither seem to work.

My WG111V2 has an RTL8187L chip in it, not an RTL8187B. No, master mode is NOT
supported by this driver. Adding that feature has been on my list of things to
do, but the priority is very low. I really have little desire to convert my $600
laptop into a $40 access point.

> I noticed there was a patch[2] sent out a few years back, but it seems
> no one followed up. While I don't have much experience working with
> wireless hardware I've done kernel driver work before, so with some
> guidance I might be able to finish up that patch. Any input would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks!

> [1] http://osdir.com/ml/linux.kernel.wireless.general/2007-07/msg00289.html
> [2] http://osdir.com/ml/linux.kernel.wireless.general/2007-06/msg00455.html

That patch is useless. The rtl8187 driver and mac80211 have changed so much that
it cannot be made to apply, and would not be likely to work.

One other thing to consider. The RTL8187L has only a single transmit queue. Will
the device be able to transmit beacons with an appropriate timing accuracy?

To modify the driver, you will need to study some other driver that does work in
master mode.

Larry

* Re: Master mode in rtl8187
@ 2010-07-24 21:26   ` Hin-Tak Leung
From: Hin-Tak Leung @ 2010-07-24 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Finger; +Cc: Ben Gamari, linux-wireless

On 7/21/10, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@lwfinger.net> wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 01:17 PM, Ben Gamari wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I recently purchased a Netgear WG111v2 (based on rtl8187b) and after
>> seeing scattered reports[1] that master mode may be supported by the
>> rtl8187 driver. Unfortunately, hostapd throws up when it attempts to put
>> the card into master mode. Is master mode supported by this driver? I've
>> tried both 2.6.34 as well as the latest wireless-testing tree and
>> neither seem to work.
>
> My WG111V2 has an RTL8187L chip in it, not an RTL8187B. No, master mode is
> NOT
> supported by this driver. Adding that feature has been on my list of things
> do, but the priority is very low. I really have little desire to convert my
> $600
> laptop into a $40 access point.
>
>> I noticed there was a patch[2] sent out a few years back, but it seems
>> no one followed up. While I don't have much experience working with
>> wireless hardware I've done kernel driver work before, so with some
>> guidance I might be able to finish up that patch. Any input would be
>> greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>
>> [1]
>> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.kernel.wireless.general/2007-07/msg00289.html
>> [2]
>> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.kernel.wireless.general/2007-06/msg00455.html
>
> That patch is useless. The rtl8187 driver and mac80211 have changed so much
> that
> it cannot be made to apply, and would not be likely to work.
>
> One other thing to consider. The RTL8187L has only a single transmit queue.
> Will
> the device be able to transmit beacons with an appropriate timing accuracy?
>
> To modify the driver, you will need to study some other driver that does
> work in
> master mode.

There were some discussion a while back that some generic master mode
support for all mac80211-based drivers might eventually happen.  Is
that still the case?

Hin-Tak

* Re: Master mode in rtl8187
@ 2010-07-26  1:14     ` August
From: August @ 2010-07-26  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hin-Tak Leung; +Cc: linux-wireless

I've followed the driver of the rtl818x in 26.34 and draw some
pictures of source.However, some additional work interrupted me.
The address is http://augustseu-blog.appspot.com/2010/06/6/Wlan.html
If it was any helpful,

2010/7/25 Hin-Tak Leung <hintak.leung@gmail.com>:
> On 7/21/10, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@lwfinger.net> wrote:
>> On 07/21/2010 01:17 PM, Ben Gamari wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I recently purchased a Netgear WG111v2 (based on rtl8187b) and after
>>> seeing scattered reports[1] that master mode may be supported by the
>>> rtl8187 driver. Unfortunately, hostapd throws up when it attempts to put
>>> the card into master mode. Is master mode supported by this driver? I've
>>> tried both 2.6.34 as well as the latest wireless-testing tree and
>>> neither seem to work.
>>
>> My WG111V2 has an RTL8187L chip in it, not an RTL8187B. No, master mode is
>> NOT
>> supported by this driver. Adding that feature has been on my list of things
>> do, but the priority is very low. I really have little desire to convert my
>> $600
>> laptop into a $40 access point.
>>
>>> I noticed there was a patch[2] sent out a few years back, but it seems
>>> no one followed up. While I don't have much experience working with
>>> wireless hardware I've done kernel driver work before, so with some
>>> guidance I might be able to finish up that patch. Any input would be
>>> greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.kernel.wireless.general/2007-07/msg00289.html
>>> [2]
>>> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.kernel.wireless.general/2007-06/msg00455.html
>>
>> That patch is useless. The rtl8187 driver and mac80211 have changed so much
>> that
>> it cannot be made to apply, and would not be likely to work.
>>
>> One other thing to consider. The RTL8187L has only a single transmit queue.
>> Will
>> the device be able to transmit beacons with an appropriate timing accuracy?
>>
>> To modify the driver, you will need to study some other driver that does
>> work in
>> master mode.
>
> There were some discussion a while back that some generic master mode
> support for all mac80211-based drivers might eventually happen.  Is
> that still the case?
>
> Hin-Tak

Best Regards
张杰