* wireless-regdb: Update regulatory rules for canada on 5GHz
@ 2023-04-01  2:11 Eric Sellman
From: Eric Sellman @ 2023-04-01  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sforshee; +Cc: wireless-regdb, linux-wireless

I would like to submit a correction to the wireless regulatory database for canada.

https://ised-isde.canada.ca/site/spectrum-management-telecommunications/en/devices-and-equipment/radio-equipment-standards/radio-standards-specifications-rss/rss-247-digital-transmission-systems-dtss-frequency-hopping-systems-fhss-and-licence-exempt-local#s6

"6.2.3 Frequency bands 5470-5600 MHz and5650-5725 MHz

Until further notice, devices subject to this section shall not be capable of transmitting in the band 5600-5650 MHz. This restriction is for the protection of Environment Canada’s weather radars operating in this band."

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sforshee/wireless-regdb.git/tree/db.txt#n326

Lines 330 and 331 have frequencies 5600mhz to 5650mhz and therefore need to be modified to have those frequencies removed.

* wireless-regdb: Update regulatory rules for canada on 5GHz
@ 2023-04-01  5:33 ` Eric Sellman
From: Eric Sellman @ 2023-04-01  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sforshee; +Cc: wireless-regdb, linux-wireless

My apologies but I have made a mistake.

My previous submission about Canada is invalid. The weather frequency range has already been avoided.

Here is the correct information I meant to share with you.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10971.html#s6

"Devices with occupied bandwidths which overlap different bands shall comply with all operational requirements for each band."

https://semfionetworks.com/blog/5ghz-regulations-in-canada-2018-update/

Canada still permits the lower 5ghz frequencies to be used for VHT 160. But it's missing according to the information for the Canadian profile in line 326

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sforshee/wireless-regdb.git/tree/db.txt#n326.

And I wanted to mention that for 5150 - 5250 on line 328, the transmit power has been increased to 1 watt or "30 dBm" according to this document here.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11294.html

* Re: wireless-regdb: Update regulatory rules for Canada on 5GHz
@ 2023-04-16 13:13 ` sforshee
From: sforshee @ 2023-04-16 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sellman; +Cc: wireless-regdb, linux-wireless

On Sat, Apr 01, 2023 at 08:26:51AM +0000, Eric Sellman wrote:
> My apologies but I have made a mistake.
>
> My previous submission about Canada is invalid. The weather frequency range has already been avoided.
>
> Here is the correct information I meant to share with you.
>
> https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10971.html#s6
>
> "Devices with occupied bandwidths which overlap different bands shall comply with all operational requirements for each band."
>
> https://semfionetworks.com/blog/5ghz-regulations-in-canada-2018-update/
>
> Canada still permits the lower 5ghz frequencies to be used for VHT 160. But it's missing according to the information for the Canadian profile in line 326

Just for the record, as we discussed for the US rules, we can't set the
max bandwidth for a range to a value larger than the range itself or the
kernel will reject the database. However, it looks like with AUTO_BW the
kernel will allow larger bandwidths with adjacent channels.

> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sforshee/wireless-regdb.git/tree/db.txt#n326.
>
> And I wanted to mention that for 5150 - 5250 on line 328, the transmit power has been increased to 1 watt or "30 dBm" according to this document here.
>
> https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11294.html

I see a limit of 200 mW for 5150-5250 MHz. If I'm missing it, can you
please tell me which section specifies a max EIRP of 30 dBm?

Thanks,
Seth

* wireless-regdb: Update regulatory rules for Canada on 5GHz
@ 2023-04-01  8:26 Eric Sellman