From: Robert W <rwbugreport@lost-in-the-void.net>
To: xl@wp.pl
Cc: linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Bug/Regression - Ralink RT2800 kernel deference issue since kernel 5.14
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 21:21:13 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

I have recently tried to upgrade a system to run the 5.14 kernel and
noticed that I was getting hangs on the system which seem to relate to
this wireless dongle which I am running hostapd against to provide a
small AP. Since that time kernel 5.15 was released and I have tested
that kernel as well and the problem persists.  The issue sometimes
occurs within an hour and other times it takes a few hours. I have tried
to narrow down what is causing the issue.  I thought it might be a
change elsewhere outside the mac80211/driver area so I tried to run the
wireless backports 5.15-rc6 on top of the last stable kernel of 5.13 so
as to have the smallest number of changes on the system. The backports
crashes with the same error.  I have included below the netconsole
output and the gdb of the kernel module in question. The capture was
from when I was using the backports, but the error  is the same.  I hope
the pastebins are okay to use on the list.  I did try to get some
assistance on linux-wireless IRC and some one asked for the outputs I
had for the information so I am reusing them here.

The following pastebin is the data sent to a netconsole instance.

https://pastebin.com/UxRrTtUh

The gdb debug of the kernel module suggests this section of code.

https://pastebin.com/iMzxWEVU

I am able to run further tests if required.  I am not a programmer, but
I can usually apply code patches and build the resulting code. Please
let me know if require any further information.

--
Robert