linux-wpan.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* pull-request: ieee802154 for net 2019-04-25
@ 2019-04-25 16:03 Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2019-04-25 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davem; +Cc: linux-wpan, alex.aring, netdev

Hello Dave.

An update from ieee802154 for your *net* tree.

Another fix from Kangjie Lu to ensure better checking regmap updates in the
mcr20a driver. Nothing else I have pending for the final release.

If there are any problems let me know.

---

During the preparation of this pull request a workflow question on my side came
up and wonder if you (or some subsystem maintainer sending you pull requests)
does have a comment on this. The ieee802154 subsystem has a low activity in the
number of patches coming through it. I still wanted to pull from your net tree
regularly to test if changes have implications to it. During this pulls I often
end up with merge of the remote tracking branch. Which in the end could mean
that I would have something like 3-4 merge commits in my tree with only one
actual patch I want to send over to you. Feels and looks kind of silly to be
honest.

How do other handle this? Just merge once every rc? Merge just before sending a
pull request? Never merge, wait for Dave to pull and merge and do a pull of his
tree directly afterwards?

regards
Stefan Schmidt

The following changes since commit 1c5c12ee308aacf635c8819cd4baa3bd58f8a8b7:

  net/ncsi: handle overflow when incrementing mac address (2019-04-23 21:15:15 -0700)

are available in the Git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sschmidt/wpan.git ieee802154-for-davem-2019-04-25

for you to fetch changes up to 22e8860cf8f777fbf6a83f2fb7127f682a8e9de4:

  net: ieee802154: fix missing checks for regmap_update_bits (2019-04-24 20:15:15 +0200)

Kangjie Lu (1):
      net: ieee802154: fix missing checks for regmap_update_bits

 drivers/net/ieee802154/mcr20a.c | 6 ++++++
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+)

* Re: pull-request: ieee802154 for net 2019-04-25
@ 2019-04-29 22:21 ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2019-04-29 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stefan; +Cc: linux-wpan, alex.aring, netdev

From: Stefan Schmidt <stefan@datenfreihafen.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 18:03:11 +0200

> An update from ieee802154 for your *net* tree.
>
> Another fix from Kangjie Lu to ensure better checking regmap updates in the
> mcr20a driver. Nothing else I have pending for the final release.
>
> If there are any problems let me know.

Pulled, thanks Stefan.

> During the preparation of this pull request a workflow question on
> my side came up and wonder if you (or some subsystem maintainer
> sending you pull requests) does have a comment on this. The
> ieee802154 subsystem has a low activity in the number of patches
> coming through it. I still wanted to pull from your net tree
> regularly to test if changes have implications to it. During this
> pulls I often end up with merge of the remote tracking branch. Which
> in the end could mean that I would have something like 3-4 merge
> commits in my tree with only one actual patch I want to send over to
> you. Feels and looks kind of silly to be honest.
>
> How do other handle this? Just merge once every rc? Merge just
> before sending a pull request? Never merge, wait for Dave to pull
> and merge and do a pull of his tree directly afterwards?

I would say never pull from the net tree until right after I pull your
tree and thus you can do a clean fast-forward merge.

If you want to test, right before you send me a pull request do a test
pull into a local throw-away branch.

Otherwise I'll handle conflicts and merge issues.

Thanks.

* Re: pull-request: ieee802154 for net 2019-04-25
@ 2019-04-30 10:24   ` Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2019-04-30 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: linux-wpan, alex.aring, netdev

Hello Dave.

On 30.04.19 00:21, David Miller wrote:
> From: Stefan Schmidt <stefan@datenfreihafen.org>
> Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 18:03:11 +0200
>
>> An update from ieee802154 for your *net* tree.
>>
>> Another fix from Kangjie Lu to ensure better checking regmap updates in the
>> mcr20a driver. Nothing else I have pending for the final release.
>>
>> If there are any problems let me know.
>
> Pulled, thanks Stefan.
>
>> During the preparation of this pull request a workflow question on
>> my side came up and wonder if you (or some subsystem maintainer
>> sending you pull requests) does have a comment on this. The
>> ieee802154 subsystem has a low activity in the number of patches
>> coming through it. I still wanted to pull from your net tree
>> regularly to test if changes have implications to it. During this
>> pulls I often end up with merge of the remote tracking branch. Which
>> in the end could mean that I would have something like 3-4 merge
>> commits in my tree with only one actual patch I want to send over to
>> you. Feels and looks kind of silly to be honest.
>>
>> How do other handle this? Just merge once every rc? Merge just
>> before sending a pull request? Never merge, wait for Dave to pull
>> and merge and do a pull of his tree directly afterwards?
>
> I would say never pull from the net tree until right after I pull your
> tree and thus you can do a clean fast-forward merge.

Thanks, I will try to work like this. Normally there should be no
overlap on ieee802154 patches I get that would need a newer pull from
net. Seems I was to eager to always work against your latest. :-)

I pulled now after your merge of my request and will do again after the
next. Will see how it will work out for me.

> If you want to test, right before you send me a pull request do a test
> pull into a local throw-away branch.

That is what I have been doing so far.

> Otherwise I'll handle conflicts and merge issues.

Thanks. When I see a merge conflict in my pre-pull-request testing I
will include my merge result in the pull request.

regards
Stefan Schmidt