linux-wpan.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* 6lowpan netlink
@ 2022-06-13  3:44 Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2022-06-13  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wpan - ML; +Cc: linux-bluetooth, Network Development, Stefan Schmidt

Hi all,

I want to spread around that I started to work on some overdue
implementation, a netlink 6lowpan configuration interface, because
rtnetlink is not enough... it's for configuring very specific 6lowpan
device settings.

Thanks.

- Alex

* Re: 6lowpan netlink
@ 2022-06-16  7:57 ` Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2022-06-16  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Aring, linux-wpan - ML; +Cc: linux-bluetooth, Network Development

Hello Alex.

On 13.06.22 05:44, Alexander Aring wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to spread around that I started to work on some overdue
> implementation, a netlink 6lowpan configuration interface, because
> rtnetlink is not enough... it's for configuring very specific 6lowpan
> device settings.

Great, looking forward to it!

regards
Stefan Schmidt

* Re: 6lowpan netlink
@ 2022-06-16 13:00   ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2022-06-16 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Schmidt; +Cc: linux-wpan - ML, linux-bluetooth, Network Development

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 3:57 AM Stefan Schmidt
<stefan@datenfreihafen.org> wrote:

> Hello Alex.
>
> On 13.06.22 05:44, Alexander Aring wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to spread around that I started to work on some overdue
> > implementation, a netlink 6lowpan configuration interface, because
> > rtnetlink is not enough... it's for configuring very specific 6lowpan
> > device settings.
>
> Great, looking forward to it!

I would like to trigger a discussion about rtnetlink or generic. I can
put a nested rtnetlink for some device specific settings but then the
whole iproute2 (as it's currently is) would maintain a specific
6lowpan setting which maybe the user never wants...
I think we should follow this way when there is a strict ipv6 device
specific setting e.g. l2 neighbor information in ipv6 ndisc.

- Alex

* Re: 6lowpan netlink
@ 2022-06-16 16:34     ` Jakub Kicinski
From: Jakub Kicinski @ 2022-06-16 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Aring
  Cc: Stefan Schmidt, linux-wpan - ML, linux-bluetooth, Network Development

On Thu, 16 Jun 2022 09:00:08 -0400 Alexander Aring wrote:
> > > I want to spread around that I started to work on some overdue
> > > implementation, a netlink 6lowpan configuration interface, because
> > > rtnetlink is not enough... it's for configuring very specific 6lowpan
> > > device settings.
> >
> > Great, looking forward to it!
>
> I would like to trigger a discussion about rtnetlink or generic. I can
> put a nested rtnetlink for some device specific settings but then the
> whole iproute2 (as it's currently is) would maintain a specific
> 6lowpan setting which maybe the user never wants...
> I think we should follow this way when there is a strict ipv6 device
> specific setting e.g. l2 neighbor information in ipv6 ndisc.

Unless you'll have to repeat attributes which are already present
in rtnetlink in an obvious way genetlink > rtnetlink.

* Re: 6lowpan netlink
@ 2022-06-27  2:31       ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2022-06-27  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Kicinski
  Cc: Stefan Schmidt, linux-wpan - ML, linux-bluetooth, Network Development

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 12:34 PM Jakub Kicinski <kuba@kernel.org> wrote:

> > > Great, looking forward to it!
> >
> > I would like to trigger a discussion about rtnetlink or generic. I can
> > put a nested rtnetlink for some device specific settings but then the
> > whole iproute2 (as it's currently is) would maintain a specific
> > 6lowpan setting which maybe the user never wants...
> > I think we should follow this way when there is a strict ipv6 device
> > specific setting e.g. l2 neighbor information in ipv6 ndisc.
>
> Unless you'll have to repeat attributes which are already present
> in rtnetlink in an obvious way genetlink > rtnetlink.

I think this is not the case, I do not implement a new protocol
family... I just need to manipulate some 6lowpan stack settings that
aren't part of the current ipv6 protocol familty rtnetlink operations.

Thanks.

 - Alex