linux-wpan.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Mark Butsch <Mark.Butsch@myfuelmaster.com>
To: "linux-wpan@vger.kernel.org" <linux-wpan@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: things not working - newbie questions
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 21:14:47 +0000	[thread overview]

Hello,

Sorry if this has all been asked before.

I am trying to setup a 6lowpan network using a Raspberry Pi 400 and Atmel REB233-XPRO modules (AT86RF233). I have 2 of each.

I have wired the radio modules to the Raspberry Pi GPIO connector.

If have created a device tree overlay that I think works when applied because I see this in the dmesg output:

[   36.388574] at86rf230 spi0.0: Detected at86rf233 chip version 2

I have installed 'wpan-tools' and 'lowpan-tools'

I get what looks like good output when I run:

$ iwpan dev wpan0 info
Interface wpan0
        ifindex 4
        wpan_dev 0x1
        extended_addr 0xc62e26eced5de562
        short_addr 0xffff
        pan_id 0xffff
        type node
        max_frame_retries 3
        min_be 3
        max_be 5
        max_csma_backoffs 4
        lbt 0
        ackreq_default 0

I tried to setup a 6lowpan network (based on things I googled) but pings didn't work, so I am starting over trying to confirm the lower level parts are working first.

I set the pan_id to 0xabba on both systems.

I set the short_addr to 0x0001 on one and 0x0002 on the other.

When I try using wpan-ping (from 0x0001), I get:

$ wpan-ping -a 0x0002 -c 5
PING 0x0002 (PAN ID 0xabba) 5 data bytes
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout

I used "ip link set wpan0 up" (on both systems) and the result is the same, but I can see packets in wireshark on wpan0.

A hardware person here suggested using a near field probe to see if we could detect any transmission. We didn't. So I don't know if the radios are actually transmitting.

Any suggestions on where to go next?

Thanks,
Mark