linux-wpan.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: things not working - newbie questions
@ 2021-04-08 13:59 Mark Butsch
From: Mark Butsch @ 2021-04-08 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wpan

Stefan, somehow I did not directly receive your reply, but spotted it in the archives. The formatting of this reply may be a little strange as a result.

On 2021-03-30  7:30 UTC Stefan wrote:

> From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2021-03-30  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
>   To: Mark Butsch, linux-wpan
>
> Hello.
>
> On 23.03.21 22:14, Mark Butsch wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Sorry if this has all been asked before.
> >
> > I am trying to setup a 6lowpan network using a Raspberry Pi 400 and Atmel REB233-XPRO modules (AT86RF233). I have 2 of each.
> >
> > I have wired the radio modules to the Raspberry Pi GPIO connector.
> >
> > If have created a device tree overlay that I think works when applied because I see this in the dmesg output:
> >
> > [   36.388574] at86rf230 spi0.0: Detected at86rf233 chip version 2
> >
> > I have installed 'wpan-tools' and 'lowpan-tools'
>
> You will need wpan-tools only. lowpan tools is deprecated for a long
> time now.

Thank you, I will note that

> > I get what looks like good output when I run:
> >
> > $ iwpan dev wpan0 info
> > Interface wpan0
> >          ifindex 4
> >          wpan_dev 0x1
> >          extended_addr 0xc62e26eced5de562
> >          short_addr 0xffff
> >          pan_id 0xffff
> >          type node
> >          max_frame_retries 3
> >          min_be 3
> >          max_be 5
> >          max_csma_backoffs 4
> >          lbt 0
> >          ackreq_default 0
> >
> > I tried to setup a 6lowpan network (based on things I googled) but pings didn't work, so I am starting over trying to confirm the lower level parts are working first.
> >
> > I set the pan_id to 0xabba on both systems.
> >
> > I set the short_addr to 0x0001 on one and 0x0002 on the other.
> >
> > When I try using wpan-ping (from 0x0001), I get:
> >
> > $ wpan-ping -a 0x0002 -c 5
> > PING 0x0002 (PAN ID 0xabba) 5 data bytes
> > Hit 500 ms packet timeout
> > Hit 500 ms packet timeout
> > Hit 500 ms packet timeout
> > Hit 500 ms packet timeout
> > Hit 500 ms packet timeout
>
> Do you actually run wpan-ping in server mode on the other node? Without
> it there would be no reply. Its different from the normal ping utility.

Yes, I did run it in server mode using:
$ wpan-ping -d

I have seen examples where an address was specified for the server mode (is that required?). I tried it as well with no success.

I did notice that on the server side that the 'ifconfig' output shows packets being received. The packet count increments correctly by the number of pings sent from the client

wpan0: flags=195<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,NOARP>  mtu 123
        unspec 86-53-D3-E1-44-D4-0C-6F-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 300  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 15  bytes 1215 (1.1 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

I also monitored wpan0 with wireshark and it captured no packets.

I wonder where they go after being received (according to ifconfig).

> > I used "ip link set wpan0 up" (on both systems) and the result is the same, but I can see packets in wireshark on wpan0.
> >
> > A hardware person here suggested using a near field probe to see if we could detect any transmission. We didn't. So I don't know if the radios are actually transmitting.
> >
> > Any suggestions on where to go next?
>
> For wpan-ping you need to ahve the server on the other node as stated above.
>
> For your 6lowpan ping6 problem I have not enough description of the
> actual problem to help you.

Understood. Probably best to focus on resolving the wpan level first

> regards
> Stefan Schmidt

Thanks,
Mark