Linux-WPAN Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* Re: things not working - newbie questions
@ 2021-04-08 13:59 Mark Butsch
  2021-04-08 16:46 ` Alexander Aring
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Mark Butsch @ 2021-04-08 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wpan

Stefan, somehow I did not directly receive your reply, but spotted it in the archives. The formatting of this reply may be a little strange as a result.

On 2021-03-30  7:30 UTC Stefan wrote:

> From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2021-03-30  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
>   To: Mark Butsch, linux-wpan
>
> Hello.
>
> On 23.03.21 22:14, Mark Butsch wrote:
> > Hello,
> > 
> > Sorry if this has all been asked before.
> > 
> > I am trying to setup a 6lowpan network using a Raspberry Pi 400 and Atmel REB233-XPRO modules (AT86RF233). I have 2 of each.
> > 
> > I have wired the radio modules to the Raspberry Pi GPIO connector.
> > 
> > If have created a device tree overlay that I think works when applied because I see this in the dmesg output:
> > 
> > [   36.388574] at86rf230 spi0.0: Detected at86rf233 chip version 2
> > 
> > I have installed 'wpan-tools' and 'lowpan-tools'
>
> You will need wpan-tools only. lowpan tools is deprecated for a long 
> time now.
>

Thank you, I will note that

> > 
> > I get what looks like good output when I run:
> > 
> > $ iwpan dev wpan0 info
> > Interface wpan0
> >          ifindex 4
> >          wpan_dev 0x1
> >          extended_addr 0xc62e26eced5de562
> >          short_addr 0xffff
> >          pan_id 0xffff
> >          type node
> >          max_frame_retries 3
> >          min_be 3
> >          max_be 5
> >          max_csma_backoffs 4
> >          lbt 0
> >          ackreq_default 0
> > 
> > I tried to setup a 6lowpan network (based on things I googled) but pings didn't work, so I am starting over trying to confirm the lower level parts are working first.
> > 
> > I set the pan_id to 0xabba on both systems.
> > 
> > I set the short_addr to 0x0001 on one and 0x0002 on the other.
> > 
> > When I try using wpan-ping (from 0x0001), I get:
> > 
> > $ wpan-ping -a 0x0002 -c 5
> > PING 0x0002 (PAN ID 0xabba) 5 data bytes
> > Hit 500 ms packet timeout
> > Hit 500 ms packet timeout
> > Hit 500 ms packet timeout
> > Hit 500 ms packet timeout
> > Hit 500 ms packet timeout
>
> Do you actually run wpan-ping in server mode on the other node? Without 
> it there would be no reply. Its different from the normal ping utility.

Yes, I did run it in server mode using:
$ wpan-ping -d

I have seen examples where an address was specified for the server mode (is that required?). I tried it as well with no success.

I did notice that on the server side that the 'ifconfig' output shows packets being received. The packet count increments correctly by the number of pings sent from the client

wpan0: flags=195<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,NOARP>  mtu 123
        unspec 86-53-D3-E1-44-D4-0C-6F-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 300  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 15  bytes 1215 (1.1 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

I also monitored wpan0 with wireshark and it captured no packets.

I wonder where they go after being received (according to ifconfig).

>
> > I used "ip link set wpan0 up" (on both systems) and the result is the same, but I can see packets in wireshark on wpan0.
> > 
> > A hardware person here suggested using a near field probe to see if we could detect any transmission. We didn't. So I don't know if the radios are actually transmitting.
> > 
> > Any suggestions on where to go next?
>
> For wpan-ping you need to ahve the server on the other node as stated above.
>
> For your 6lowpan ping6 problem I have not enough description of the 
> actual problem to help you.
>

Understood. Probably best to focus on resolving the wpan level first

> regards
> Stefan Schmidt

Thanks,
Mark

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: things not working - newbie questions
  2021-04-08 13:59 things not working - newbie questions Mark Butsch
@ 2021-04-08 16:46 ` Alexander Aring
  2021-04-09 13:29   ` Mark Butsch
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Alexander Aring @ 2021-04-08 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Butsch; +Cc: linux-wpan

Hi,

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 at 09:59, Mark Butsch <Mark.Butsch@myfuelmaster.com> wrote:
...
>
> Understood. Probably best to focus on resolving the wpan level first
>

You can try to use some virtual hardware driver to check if there are
no setting failures whatever you are doing.

Load mac802154_hwsim. _Maybe_ it's required to move it into another
namespace (for ip sometimes yes).
It will register two phys (by default) who should be able to receive
to each other, see [0] for an example.

- Alex

[0] https://github.com/linux-wpan/rpld/blob/nonstoring_mode/test/ns_setup_simple

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* RE: things not working - newbie questions
  2021-04-08 16:46 ` Alexander Aring
@ 2021-04-09 13:29   ` Mark Butsch
  2021-04-09 14:27     ` Alexander Aring
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Mark Butsch @ 2021-04-09 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Aring; +Cc: linux-wpan

Hello,

I ran the bash script you referenced, but was unsure of how to test.

I also tried using the mac802154_hwsim driver without the separate namespaces.

I took it as far as creating and bringing up the wpan's and they show up in ifconfig.

Then I tried using wpan-ping, but got time outs like I was seeing with the real hardware.

Ifconfig shows one phy with the TX packet count increasing and the other with the RX packet count increasing like I saw with the real hardware as well.

Thanks,
Mark

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alexander Aring <alex.aring@gmail.com>
> Sent: Thursday, April 8, 2021 12:47 PM
> To: Mark Butsch <Mark.Butsch@myfuelmaster.com>
> Cc: linux-wpan@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: things not working - newbie questions
> 
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click
> links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the
> content is safe.
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 at 09:59, Mark Butsch
> <Mark.Butsch@myfuelmaster.com> wrote:
> ...
> >
> > Understood. Probably best to focus on resolving the wpan level first
> >
> 
> You can try to use some virtual hardware driver to check if there are no
> setting failures whatever you are doing.
> 
> Load mac802154_hwsim. _Maybe_ it's required to move it into another
> namespace (for ip sometimes yes).
> It will register two phys (by default) who should be able to receive to each
> other, see [0] for an example.
> 
> - Alex
> 
> [0]
> https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgith
> ub.com%2Flinux-
> wpan%2Frpld%2Fblob%2Fnonstoring_mode%2Ftest%2Fns_setup_simple&a
> mp;data=04%7C01%7CMark.Butsch%40myfuelmaster.com%7C855fe6084169
> 4ab3ebcf08d8faadf3f9%7Cdd4cdb5b3a504947bce6dd41ce3544d6%7C1%7C0
> %7C637534972318591913%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjA
> wMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;s
> data=5MCmuyVwxZn7lC019oJ3689u6%2BzKt4Lods%2BEa9q3BAQ%3D&amp;r
> eserved=0

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: things not working - newbie questions
  2021-04-09 13:29   ` Mark Butsch
@ 2021-04-09 14:27     ` Alexander Aring
  2021-04-09 16:59       ` Mark Butsch
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Alexander Aring @ 2021-04-09 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Butsch; +Cc: linux-wpan

Hi,

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 at 09:29, Mark Butsch <Mark.Butsch@myfuelmaster.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I ran the bash script you referenced, but was unsure of how to test.
>

okay, forget that bash script please.

> I also tried using the mac802154_hwsim driver without the separate namespaces.
>
> I took it as far as creating and bringing up the wpan's and they show up in ifconfig.
>
> Then I tried using wpan-ping, but got time outs like I was seeing with the real hardware.
>
> Ifconfig shows one phy with the TX packet count increasing and the other with the RX packet count increasing like I saw with the real hardware as well.
>

please tell us all the steps which you are doing with mac802154_hwsim,
the good part of that I can type it here as exactly what you do and
then I can tell you why it's not working.

- Alex

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* RE: things not working - newbie questions
  2021-04-09 14:27     ` Alexander Aring
@ 2021-04-09 16:59       ` Mark Butsch
  2021-04-12 12:28         ` Alexander Aring
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Mark Butsch @ 2021-04-09 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Aring; +Cc: linux-wpan

Hello,

> On Friday, April 9, 2021 10:28 AM, Alexander Aring <alex.aring@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> please tell us all the steps which you are doing with mac802154_hwsim, the
> good part of that I can type it here as exactly what you do and then I can tell
> you why it's not working.

I ran these commands to setup the simulated devices:
-----
modprobe mac802154_hwsim

iwpan dev wpan0 set pan_id 0xbeef
iwpan dev wpan1 set pan_id 0xbeef

iwpan dev wpan0 set short_addr 0x0001
iwpan dev wpan1 set short_addr 0x0002

ip link add link wpan0 name lowpan0 type lowpan
ip link add link wpan1 name lowpan1 type lowpan

ip link set wpan0 up
ip link set wpan1 up

ip link set lowpan0 up
ip link set lowpan1 up
-----

Running ifconfig yielded:
-----
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ifconfig
lowpan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1280
        inet6 fe80::bcef:ff:fe00:1  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        inet6 fe80::8847:2953:b010:47c8  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        unspec 8A-47-29-53-B0-10-47-C8-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 1000  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 15  bytes 2222 (2.1 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 19  bytes 2558 (2.4 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

lowpan1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1280
        inet6 fe80::308e:2e6b:58a7:1ae0  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        inet6 fe80::bcef:ff:fe00:2  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        unspec 32-8E-2E-6B-58-A7-1A-E0-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 1000  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 15  bytes 2222 (2.1 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 19  bytes 2558 (2.4 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

wpan0: flags=195<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,NOARP>  mtu 123
        unspec 8A-47-29-53-B0-10-47-C8-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 300  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 27  bytes 2086 (2.0 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 27  bytes 2383 (2.3 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

wpan1: flags=195<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,NOARP>  mtu 123
        unspec 32-8E-2E-6B-58-A7-1A-E0-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 300  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 27  bytes 2086 (2.0 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 27  bytes 2383 (2.3 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
-----


Then I ran "wpan-ping -d"
-----
pi@raspberrypi:~/devicetree $ wpan-ping -d
Server mode. Waiting for packets...
-----

I then opened a 2nd window and ran "wpan-ping -a 0x0001 -c 5 -i wpan0
-----
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ wpan-ping -a 0x0001 -c 5 -i wpan0
PING 0x0001 (PAN ID 0xbeef) 5 data bytes
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout

--- 0x0001 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss
rtt min/avg/max = 2147483.750/0.000/0.000 ms

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ifconfig
lowpan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1280
        inet6 fe80::bcef:ff:fe00:1  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        inet6 fe80::8847:2953:b010:47c8  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        unspec 8A-47-29-53-B0-10-47-C8-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 1000  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 31  bytes 3997 (3.9 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 36  bytes 4405 (4.3 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

lowpan1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1280
        inet6 fe80::308e:2e6b:58a7:1ae0  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        inet6 fe80::bcef:ff:fe00:2  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        unspec 32-8E-2E-6B-58-A7-1A-E0-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 1000  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 32  bytes 4069 (3.9 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 35  bytes 4333 (4.2 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

wpan0: flags=195<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,NOARP>  mtu 123
        unspec 8A-47-29-53-B0-10-47-C8-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 300  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 47  bytes 3460 (3.3 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 53  bytes 4112 (4.0 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

wpan1: flags=195<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,NOARP>  mtu 123
        unspec 32-8E-2E-6B-58-A7-1A-E0-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 300  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 53  bytes 3529 (3.4 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 47  bytes 3977 (3.8 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
-----

I tried it with wpan1 as well:
-----
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ wpan-ping -a 0x0001 -c 5 -i wpan1
PING 0x0001 (PAN ID 0xbeef) 5 data bytes
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout

--- 0x0001 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss
rtt min/avg/max = 2147483.750/0.000/0.000 ms

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ifconfig
lowpan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1280
        inet6 fe80::bcef:ff:fe00:1  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        inet6 fe80::8847:2953:b010:47c8  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        unspec 8A-47-29-53-B0-10-47-C8-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 1000  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 32  bytes 4069 (3.9 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 36  bytes 4405 (4.3 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

lowpan1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1280
        inet6 fe80::308e:2e6b:58a7:1ae0  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        inet6 fe80::bcef:ff:fe00:2  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        unspec 32-8E-2E-6B-58-A7-1A-E0-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 1000  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 32  bytes 4069 (3.9 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 36  bytes 4405 (4.3 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

wpan0: flags=195<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,NOARP>  mtu 123
        unspec 8A-47-29-53-B0-10-47-C8-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 300  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 48  bytes 3504 (3.4 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 58  bytes 4192 (4.0 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

wpan1: flags=195<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,NOARP>  mtu 123
        unspec 32-8E-2E-6B-58-A7-1A-E0-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 300  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 58  bytes 3554 (3.4 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 48  bytes 4032 (3.9 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
-----

I feel I am missing some crucial detail.

Thanks,
Mark


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: things not working - newbie questions
  2021-04-09 16:59       ` Mark Butsch
@ 2021-04-12 12:28         ` Alexander Aring
  2021-04-12 13:20           ` Mark Butsch
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Alexander Aring @ 2021-04-12 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Butsch; +Cc: linux-wpan

Hi,

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 at 12:59, Mark Butsch <Mark.Butsch@myfuelmaster.com> wrote:
...
>
> I feel I am missing some crucial detail.
>

I tried to reproduce it, I don't see any mistake and it does not work
for me as well. However I am not an expert in af802154 socket (I never
touched it so far) it's a very historical growing thing. Maybe Stefan
can help here.
However, I tested an IPv6 ping on my side and it worked. Just do ping6
"fe80....%lowpan0", whereas the address is lowpan1 of course. May I
have at the weekend time to look at it and maybe we can finally start
some next generation socket interface or better make this one less
complicated/fixing bugs (also some netns awareness seems to be
missing, as I figured out?).

I also was looking at wireshark, it was showing some data arriving.

- Alex

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* RE: things not working - newbie questions
  2021-04-12 12:28         ` Alexander Aring
@ 2021-04-12 13:20           ` Mark Butsch
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Mark Butsch @ 2021-04-12 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Aring; +Cc: linux-wpan

Hello,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alexander Aring <alex.aring@gmail.com>
> Sent: Monday, April 12, 2021 8:29 AM


> I tried to reproduce it, I don't see any mistake and it does not work for me as
> well. However I am not an expert in af802154 socket (I never touched it so
> far) it's a very historical growing thing. Maybe Stefan can help here.
> However, I tested an IPv6 ping on my side and it worked. Just do ping6
> "fe80....%lowpan0", whereas the address is lowpan1 of course. May I have at
> the weekend time to look at it and maybe we can finally start some next
> generation socket interface or better make this one less complicated/fixing
> bugs (also some netns awareness seems to be missing, as I figured out?).
> 
> I also was looking at wireshark, it was showing some data arriving.

I will try the IPv6 ping as well.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. This is a proof of concept exercise at this point with no hard deadline.

Mark

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: things not working - newbie questions
  2021-03-23 21:14 Mark Butsch
@ 2021-03-30  7:30 ` Stefan Schmidt
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2021-03-30  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Butsch, linux-wpan

Hello.

On 23.03.21 22:14, Mark Butsch wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> Sorry if this has all been asked before.
> 
> I am trying to setup a 6lowpan network using a Raspberry Pi 400 and Atmel REB233-XPRO modules (AT86RF233). I have 2 of each.
> 
> I have wired the radio modules to the Raspberry Pi GPIO connector.
> 
> If have created a device tree overlay that I think works when applied because I see this in the dmesg output:
> 
> [   36.388574] at86rf230 spi0.0: Detected at86rf233 chip version 2
> 
> I have installed 'wpan-tools' and 'lowpan-tools'

You will need wpan-tools only. lowpan tools is deprecated for a long 
time now.

> 
> I get what looks like good output when I run:
> 
> $ iwpan dev wpan0 info
> Interface wpan0
>          ifindex 4
>          wpan_dev 0x1
>          extended_addr 0xc62e26eced5de562
>          short_addr 0xffff
>          pan_id 0xffff
>          type node
>          max_frame_retries 3
>          min_be 3
>          max_be 5
>          max_csma_backoffs 4
>          lbt 0
>          ackreq_default 0
> 
> I tried to setup a 6lowpan network (based on things I googled) but pings didn't work, so I am starting over trying to confirm the lower level parts are working first.
> 
> I set the pan_id to 0xabba on both systems.
> 
> I set the short_addr to 0x0001 on one and 0x0002 on the other.
> 
> When I try using wpan-ping (from 0x0001), I get:
> 
> $ wpan-ping -a 0x0002 -c 5
> PING 0x0002 (PAN ID 0xabba) 5 data bytes
> Hit 500 ms packet timeout
> Hit 500 ms packet timeout
> Hit 500 ms packet timeout
> Hit 500 ms packet timeout
> Hit 500 ms packet timeout

Do you actually run wpan-ping in server mode on the other node? Without 
it there would be no reply. Its different from the normal ping utility.

> I used "ip link set wpan0 up" (on both systems) and the result is the same, but I can see packets in wireshark on wpan0.
> 
> A hardware person here suggested using a near field probe to see if we could detect any transmission. We didn't. So I don't know if the radios are actually transmitting.
> 
> Any suggestions on where to go next?

For wpan-ping you need to ahve the server on the other node as stated above.

For your 6lowpan ping6 problem I have not enough description of the 
actual problem to help you.

regards
Stefan Schmidt

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* things not working - newbie questions
@ 2021-03-23 21:14 Mark Butsch
  2021-03-30  7:30 ` Stefan Schmidt
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Mark Butsch @ 2021-03-23 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wpan

Hello,

Sorry if this has all been asked before.

I am trying to setup a 6lowpan network using a Raspberry Pi 400 and Atmel REB233-XPRO modules (AT86RF233). I have 2 of each.

I have wired the radio modules to the Raspberry Pi GPIO connector.

If have created a device tree overlay that I think works when applied because I see this in the dmesg output:

[   36.388574] at86rf230 spi0.0: Detected at86rf233 chip version 2

I have installed 'wpan-tools' and 'lowpan-tools'

I get what looks like good output when I run:

$ iwpan dev wpan0 info
Interface wpan0
        ifindex 4
        wpan_dev 0x1
        extended_addr 0xc62e26eced5de562
        short_addr 0xffff
        pan_id 0xffff
        type node
        max_frame_retries 3
        min_be 3
        max_be 5
        max_csma_backoffs 4
        lbt 0
        ackreq_default 0

I tried to setup a 6lowpan network (based on things I googled) but pings didn't work, so I am starting over trying to confirm the lower level parts are working first.

I set the pan_id to 0xabba on both systems.

I set the short_addr to 0x0001 on one and 0x0002 on the other.

When I try using wpan-ping (from 0x0001), I get:

$ wpan-ping -a 0x0002 -c 5
PING 0x0002 (PAN ID 0xabba) 5 data bytes
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout
Hit 500 ms packet timeout

I used "ip link set wpan0 up" (on both systems) and the result is the same, but I can see packets in wireshark on wpan0.

A hardware person here suggested using a near field probe to see if we could detect any transmission. We didn't. So I don't know if the radios are actually transmitting.

Any suggestions on where to go next?


Thanks,
Mark


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 9+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-04-08 13:59 things not working - newbie questions Mark Butsch
2021-04-08 16:46 ` Alexander Aring
2021-04-09 13:29   ` Mark Butsch
2021-04-09 14:27     ` Alexander Aring
2021-04-09 16:59       ` Mark Butsch
2021-04-12 12:28         ` Alexander Aring
2021-04-12 13:20           ` Mark Butsch
  -- strict thread matches above, loose matches on Subject: below --
2021-03-23 21:14 Mark Butsch
2021-03-30  7:30 ` Stefan Schmidt

Linux-WPAN Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/linux-wpan/0 linux-wpan/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 linux-wpan linux-wpan/ https://lore.kernel.org/linux-wpan \
		linux-wpan@vger.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index linux-wpan

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.linux-wpan


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git