linux-xfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Atomic Writes
@ 2020-02-13 22:33 Allison Collins
From: Allison Collins @ 2020-02-13 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lsf-pc; +Cc: xfs, linux-fsdevel

Hi all,

I know there's a lot of discussion on the list right now, but I'd like
to get this out before too much time gets away.  I would like to propose
the topic of atomic writes.  I realize the topic has been discussed
before, but I have not found much activity for it recently so perhaps we
can revisit it.  We do have a customer who may have an interest, so I
would like to discuss the current state of things, and how we can move
forward.  If efforts are in progress, and if not, what have we learned
from the attempt.

I also understand there are multiple ways to solve this problem that
people may have opinions on.  I've noticed some older patch sets trying
to use a flag to control when dirty pages are flushed, though I think
our customer would like to see a hardware solution via NVMe devices.  So
I would like to see if others have similar interests as well and what
their thoughts may be.  Thanks everyone!

Allison