Linux-XFS Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Matthew Wilcox <willy@infradead.org>
To: Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com>
Cc: "Darrick J. Wong" <darrick.wong@oracle.com>,
	Zhengyuan Liu <liuzhengyuang521@gmail.com>,
	linux-xfs@vger.kernel.org,
	Zhengyuan Liu <liuzhengyuan@kylinos.cn>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org>
Subject: Re: [Question] About XFS random buffer write performance
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 21:47:13 +0100

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:45:17AM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 08:08:57AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > > But it doesn't read in the entire page, just the blocks in the page which
> > > will be touched by the write.
> >
> > Ah, you are right, I got my page/offset macros mixed up.
> >
> > In which case, you just identified why the uptodate array is
> > necessary and can't be removed. If we do a sub-page write() the page
> > is not fully initialised, and so if we then mmap it readpage needs
> > to know what part of the page requires initialisation to bring the
> > page uptodate before it is exposed to userspace.
>
> You snipped the part of my mail where I explained how we could handle
> that without the uptodate array ;-(  Essentially, we do as you thought
> it worked, we read the entire page (or at least the portion of it that
> isn't going to be overwritten.  Once all the bytes have been transferred,
> we can mark the page Uptodate.  We'll need to wait for the transfer to
> happen if the write overlaps a block boundary, but we do that right now.

OK, so this turns out to be Hard.  We enter the iomap code with

iomap_file_buffered_write(struct kiocb *iocb, struct iov_iter *iter,
                const struct iomap_ops *ops)

which does:
                ret = iomap_apply(inode, pos, iov_iter_count(iter),
                                IOMAP_WRITE, ops, iter, iomap_write_actor);

so iomap_write_actor doesn't get told about the blocks in the page before
the starting pos.  They might be a hole or mapped; we have no idea.

We could allocate pages _here_ and call iomap_readpage() for the pages
which overlap the beginning and end of the I/O, but I'm not entirely
convinced that the iomap_ops being passed in will appreciate being
called for a read that has no intent to write the portions of the page
outside pos.

Bleh.  I'm going to give up on removing the uptodate bit array and go
back to making the THP patchset better.

  parent reply index