linux-xfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: "Li, Hao" <lihao2018.fnst@cn.fujitsu.com>
To: Ira Weiny <ira.weiny@intel.com>, Yasunori Goto <y-goto@fujitsu.com>
Cc: Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com>,
	"linux-xfs@vger.kernel.org" <linux-xfs@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-nvdimm@lists.01.org" <linux-nvdimm@lists.01.org>
Subject: Re: Can we change the S_DAX flag immediately on XFS without dropping caches?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 17:16:25 +0800	[thread overview]

On 2020/8/8 1:09, Ira Weiny wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 06:59:32PM +0900, Yasunori Goto wrote:

>>> Step back for a minute and explain why you want to be able to change
>>> the DAX mode of a file -as a user-.
>>
>> For example, there are 2 containers executed in a system, which is named as
>> container A and container B, and these host gives FS-DAX files to each
>> containers.
>> If the user of container A would like to change DAX-off for tuning, then he
>> will stop his application
>> and change DAX flag, but the flag may not be changed.
>>
>> Then he will "need" to ask host operator to execute drop_cache, and the
>> operator did it.
>> As a result, not only container A, but also container B get the impact of
>> drop_cache.
>>
>> Especially, if this is multi tenant container system, then I think this is
>> not acceptable.
>>
>> Probably, there are 2 problems I think.
>> 1) drop_cache requires root permission.
>> 2) drop_cache has too wide effect.

>>> No, drop_caches is not going to be made available to users. That
>>> makes it s trivial system wide DoS vector.
>> The current drop_cache feature tries to drop ALL of cache (page cache and/or
>> slab cache).
>> Then, I agree that normal user should not drop all of them.
>>
>> But my intention was that drop cache of ONE file which is changed dax flag,
>> (and if possible, drop only the inode cache.)
>> Do you mean it will be still cause of weakness against DoS attack?
>> If so, I should give up to solve problem 1) at least.
> FWIW changing the on disk flag automatically flags the inode to be dropped as
> soon as all references are done.
>
> See:
>
> 2c567af418e3 fs: Introduce DCACHE_DONTCACHE
> dae2f8ed7992 fs: Lift XFS_IDONTCACHE to the VFS layer
Hi,

I find that DCACHE_DONTCACHE doesn't work well.
If DCACHE_REFERENCED is not set, dput() can drop the inode successfully as
soon as all references are gone. By contrast, if DCACHE_REFERENCED is set,
dput() only decreases the reference count of dentry and don't evict inode.

Example 1:

echo abcdefg > test.txt
echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
xfs_io -c 'chattr +x' test.txt

In this example, we can say the DAX policy takes effects immediately as we
don't need to drop cache after chattr.
In this circumstance, DCACHE_REFERENCED is not set, and DCACHE_DONTCACHE
can drop the inode as expected.

Example 2:

echo abcdefg > test.txt
xfs_io -c 'chattr +x' test.txt

In this example, we must drop caches after chattr to make DAX policy
take effects. This is because DCACHE_REFERENCED is set, and fast_dput() will
return true, and then retain_dentry() have no chance to check DCACHE_DONTCACHE.

If this is the desired behavior, I can't understand the necessity
of DCACHE_DONTCACHE.

Regards,
Hao Li