linux-xfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* XFS reflink vs ThinLVM
@ 2020-01-13 10:22 Gionatan Danti
From: Gionatan Danti @ 2020-01-13 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-xfs; +Cc: 'g.danti@assyoma.it'

Hi all,
as RHEL/CentOS 8 finally ships with XFS reflink enabled, I was thinking
on how to put that very useful feature to good use. Doing that, I
noticed how there is a significant overlap between XFS CoW (via reflink)
and dm-thin CoW (via LVM thin volumes).

I am fully aware that they are far from identical, both in use and
scope: ThinLVM is used to create multiple volumes from a single pool,
with volume-level atomic snapshot; on the other hand, XFS CoW works
inside a single volume and with file-level atomic snapshot.

Still, in at least one use case they are quite similar: single-volume
storage of virtual machine files, with vdisk-level snapshot. So lets say
I have a single big volume for storing virtual disk image file, and
using XFS reflink to take atomic, per file snapshot via a simple "cp
--reflink vdisk.img vdisk_snap.img".

How do you feel about using reflink for such a purpose? Is the right
tool for the job? Or do you think a "classic" approach with dmthin and
lvm snapshot should be preferred? On top of my head, I can thin about
the following pros and cons when using reflink vs thin lvm:

PRO:
- xfs reflink works at 4k granularity;
- significantly simpler setup and fs expansion, especially when staked
devices (ie: vdo) are employed.

CONS:
- xfs reflink works at 4k granularity, leading to added fragmentation
(albeit mitigated by speculative preallocation?);
- no filesystem-wide atomic snapshot (ie: various vdisk files are
reflinked one-by-one, at small but different times).

Side note: I am aware of the fact that a snapshot taken without guest
quiescing is akin to a crashed guest, but lets ignore that for the moment.

Am I missing something?
Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan