linuxppc-dev.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* [GIT PULL] of: overlay: validation checks, subsequent fixes for v20
@ 2018-11-09  6:56 Frank Rowand
From: Frank Rowand @ 2018-11-09  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Herring, Pantelis Antoniou, Michael Ellerman,
	Benjamin Herrenschmidt, Paul Mackerras, Alan Tull,
	Moritz Fischer
  Cc: devicetree, linux-fpga, linuxppc-dev, linux-kernel

Hi Rob,

Please pull the changes to add the overlay validation checks.

This is the v7 version of the patch series.

-Frank

The following changes since commit 651022382c7f8da46cb4872a545ee1da6d097d2a:

  Linux 4.20-rc1 (2018-11-04 15:37:52 -0800)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/frowand/linux.git tags/kfree_validate_v7-for-4.20

for you to fetch changes up to eeb07c573ec307c53fe2f6ac6d8d11c261f64006:

  of: unittest: initialize args before calling of_*parse_*() (2018-11-08 22:12:37 -0800)

Add checks to (1) overlay apply process and (2) memory freeing
triggered by overlay release.  The checks are intended to detect
possible memory leaks and invalid overlays.

The checks revealed bugs in existing code.  Fixed the bugs.

While fixing bugs, noted other issues, which are fixed in
separate patches.

Frank Rowand (17):
      of: overlay: add tests to validate kfrees from overlay removal
      of: overlay: add missing of_node_put() after add new node to changeset
      of: overlay: add missing of_node_get() in __of_attach_node_sysfs
      powerpc/pseries: add of_node_put() in dlpar_detach_node()
      of: overlay: use prop add changeset entry for property in new nodes
      of: overlay: do not duplicate properties from overlay for new nodes
      of: overlay: reorder fields in struct fragment
      of: overlay: validate overlay properties #address-cells and #size-cells
      of: overlay: make all pr_debug() and pr_err() messages unique
      of: overlay: test case of two fragments adding same node
      of: overlay: check prevents multiple fragments add or delete same node
      of: overlay: check prevents multiple fragments touching same property
      of: unittest: remove unused of_unittest_apply_overlay() argument
      of: overlay: set node fields from properties when add new overlay node
      of: unittest: allow base devicetree to have symbol metadata
      of: unittest: find overlays[] entry by name instead of index
      of: unittest: initialize args before calling of_*parse_*()

 arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/dlpar.c             |   2 +
 drivers/of/dynamic.c                               |  59 ++++-
 drivers/of/kobj.c                                  |   4 +-
 drivers/of/overlay.c                               | 292 ++++++++++++++++-----
 drivers/of/unittest-data/Makefile                  |   2 +
 .../of/unittest-data/overlay_bad_add_dup_node.dts  |  28 ++
 .../of/unittest-data/overlay_bad_add_dup_prop.dts  |  24 ++
 drivers/of/unittest-data/overlay_base.dts          |   1 +
 drivers/of/unittest.c                              |  96 +++++--
 include/linux/of.h                                 |  21 +-
 create mode 100644 drivers/of/unittest-data/overlay_bad_add_dup_node.dts
 create mode 100644 drivers/of/unittest-data/overlay_bad_add_dup_prop.dts

* Re: [GIT PULL] of: overlay: validation checks, subsequent fixes for v20 -- correction: v4.20
@ 2018-11-09  6:57 ` Frank Rowand
From: Frank Rowand @ 2018-11-09  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Herring, Pantelis Antoniou, Michael Ellerman,
  Cc: devicetree, linux-fpga, linuxppc-dev, linux-kernel

@ 2018-11-09 21:44 ` Rob Herring
From: Rob Herring @ 2018-11-09 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Rowand
  Cc: devicetree, Alan Tull, linux-fpga, Pantelis Antoniou,
	linux-kernel, Moritz Fischer, Paul Mackerras, linuxppc-dev

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:56 AM Frank Rowand <frowand.list@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> Please pull the changes to add the overlay validation checks.
>
> This is the v7 version of the patch series.

Pulled for 4.21. Thanks.

Rob

* Re: [GIT PULL] of: overlay: validation checks, subsequent fixes for v20 -- correction: v4.20
@ 2019-02-11 18:41   ` Alan Tull
From: Alan Tull @ 2019-02-11 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Rowand, Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: devicetree, linux-fpga, Pantelis Antoniou, linux-kernel,
	Rob Herring, Moritz Fischer, Paul Mackerras, linuxppc-dev

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:58 AM Frank Rowand <frowand.list@gmail.com> wrote:

What LTSI's are these patches likely to end up in?  Just to be clear,
I'm not pushing for any specific answer, I just want to know what to
expect.

Thanks,
Alan

@ 2019-02-11 19:13     ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2019-02-11 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Tull
  Cc: devicetree, linux-fpga, linuxppc-dev, Pantelis Antoniou,
	linux-kernel, Rob Herring, Paul Mackerras, Moritz Fischer,
	Frank Rowand

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:41:40PM -0600, Alan Tull wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:58 AM Frank Rowand <frowand.list@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What LTSI's are these patches likely to end up in?  Just to be clear,
> I'm not pushing for any specific answer, I just want to know what to
> expect.

I have no idea what you are asking here.

What patches?  What is "LTSI's"?

confused,

greg k-h

* Re: [GIT PULL] of: overlay: validation checks, subsequent fixes for v20 -- correction: v4.20
@ 2019-02-11 20:43       ` Alan Tull
From: Alan Tull @ 2019-02-11 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: devicetree, linux-fpga, linuxppc-dev, Pantelis Antoniou,
	linux-kernel, Rob Herring, Paul Mackerras, Moritz Fischer,
	Frank Rowand

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 1:13 PM Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:41:40PM -0600, Alan Tull wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:58 AM Frank Rowand <frowand.list@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What LTSI's are these patches likely to end up in?  Just to be clear,
> > I'm not pushing for any specific answer, I just want to know what to
> > expect.
>
> I have no idea what you are asking here.
>
> What patches?

I probably should have asked my question *below* the pertinent context
of the the 17 patches listed in the pull request, which was:

>       of: overlay: add tests to validate kfrees from overlay removal
>       of: overlay: add missing of_node_put() after add new node to changeset
>       of: overlay: add missing of_node_get() in __of_attach_node_sysfs
>       powerpc/pseries: add of_node_put() in dlpar_detach_node()
>       of: overlay: use prop add changeset entry for property in new nodes
>       of: overlay: do not duplicate properties from overlay for new nodes
>       of: overlay: reorder fields in struct fragment
>       of: overlay: validate overlay properties #address-cells and #size-cells
>       of: overlay: make all pr_debug() and pr_err() messages unique
>       of: overlay: test case of two fragments adding same node
>       of: overlay: check prevents multiple fragments add or delete same node
>       of: overlay: check prevents multiple fragments touching same property
>       of: unittest: remove unused of_unittest_apply_overlay() argument
>       of: overlay: set node fields from properties when add new overlay node
>       of: unittest: allow base devicetree to have symbol metadata
>       of: unittest: find overlays[] entry by name instead of index
>       of: unittest: initialize args before calling of_*parse_*()

> What is "LTSI's"?

I have recently seen some of devicetree patches being picked up for
the 4.20 stable-queue.  That seemed to suggest that some, but not all
of these will end up in the next LTS release.  Also I was wondering if
any of this is likely to get backported to LTSI-4.14.

> confused,

Yes, and now I'm confused about the confusion.  Sorry for spreading confusion.

Alan

@ 2019-02-12  7:28         ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2019-02-12  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Tull
  Cc: devicetree, linux-fpga, linuxppc-dev, Pantelis Antoniou,

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 02:43:48PM -0600, Alan Tull wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 1:13 PM Greg Kroah-Hartman
> <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:41:40PM -0600, Alan Tull wrote:
> > > On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:58 AM Frank Rowand <frowand.list@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > What LTSI's are these patches likely to end up in?  Just to be clear,
> > > I'm not pushing for any specific answer, I just want to know what to
> > > expect.
> >
> > I have no idea what you are asking here.
> >
> > What patches?
>
> I probably should have asked my question *below* the pertinent context
> of the the 17 patches listed in the pull request, which was:
>
> >       of: overlay: add tests to validate kfrees from overlay removal
> >       of: overlay: add missing of_node_put() after add new node to changeset
> >       of: overlay: add missing of_node_get() in __of_attach_node_sysfs
> >       powerpc/pseries: add of_node_put() in dlpar_detach_node()
> >       of: overlay: use prop add changeset entry for property in new nodes
> >       of: overlay: do not duplicate properties from overlay for new nodes
> >       of: overlay: reorder fields in struct fragment
> >       of: overlay: validate overlay properties #address-cells and #size-cells
> >       of: overlay: make all pr_debug() and pr_err() messages unique
> >       of: overlay: test case of two fragments adding same node
> >       of: overlay: check prevents multiple fragments add or delete same node
> >       of: overlay: check prevents multiple fragments touching same property
> >       of: unittest: remove unused of_unittest_apply_overlay() argument
> >       of: overlay: set node fields from properties when add new overlay node
> >       of: unittest: allow base devicetree to have symbol metadata
> >       of: unittest: find overlays[] entry by name instead of index
> >       of: unittest: initialize args before calling of_*parse_*()
>
> > What is "LTSI's"?
>
> I have recently seen some of devicetree patches being picked up for
> the 4.20 stable-queue.  That seemed to suggest that some, but not all
> of these will end up in the next LTS release.

If the git commit has the "cc: stable@" marking in it, yes, it will be
picked up.  Without the actual git ids, it's hard to know what did, and
what did not, get backported :)

> Also I was wondering if any of this is likely to get backported to
> LTSI-4.14.

Note, "LTSI" and "LTS" are two different things.  "LTSI" is a project
run by some LF member companies, and "LTS" are the normal long term
kernels that I release on kernel.org.  They have vastly different
requirements for inclusion in them.

If you have questions about LTSI, I recommend go asking on their mailing
list.

As for showing up in the 4.14 "LTS" kernel, again, I need git commit ids
to know for sure.

Also, as these are now in Linus's tree, you should be able to look at
the stable releases yourself to see if they are present there, right?

thanks,

greg k-h