live-patching.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Julien Thierry <jthierry@redhat.com>
To: "Madhavan T. Venkataraman" <madvenka@linux.microsoft.com>,
	Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@arm.com>
Cc: linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org,
	Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org>,
	jpoimboe@redhat.com, live-patching@vger.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Live patching on ARM64
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 08:57:36 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Madhavan,

On 1/17/21 6:25 PM, Madhavan T. Venkataraman wrote:

> On 1/15/21 6:33 AM, Mark Rutland wrote:
>
>>> It looks like the most recent work in this area has been from the
>>> following folks:
>>>
>>> Mark Brown and Mark Rutland:
>>> 	Kernel changes to providing reliable stack traces.
>>>
>>> Julien Thierry:
>>> 	Providing ARM64 support in objtool.
>>>
>>> Torsten Duwe:
>>> 	Ftrace with regs.
>>
>> IIRC that's about right. I'm also trying to make arm64 patch-safe (more
>> on that below), and there's a long tail of work there for anyone
>> interested.
>>

> OK.
>
>>> I apologize if I have missed anyone else who is working on Live Patching
>>> for ARM64. Do let me know.
>>>
>>> Is there any work I can help with? Any areas that need investigation, any code
>>> that needs to be written, any work that needs to be reviewed, any testing that
>>> needs to done? You folks are probably super busy and would not mind an extra
>>> hand.
>>
>> One general thing that I believe we'll need to do is to rework code to
>> be patch-safe (which implies being noinstr-safe too). For example, we'll
>> need to rework the instruction patching code such that this cannot end
>> up patching itself (or anything that has instrumented it) in an unsafe
>> way.
>>

> OK.
>
>> Once we have objtool it should be possible to identify those cases
>> automatically. Currently I'm aware that we'll need to do something in at
>> least the following places:
>>
>> * The entry code -- I'm currently chipping away at this.
>>

> OK.
>
>> * The insn framework (which is used by some patching code), since the
>>    bulk of it lives in arch/arm64/kernel/insn.c and isn't marked noinstr.
>>
>>    We can probably shift the bulk of the aarch64_insn_gen_*() and
>>    aarch64_get_*() helpers into a header as __always_inline functions,
>>    which would allow them to be used in noinstr code. As those are
>>    typically invoked with a number of constant arguments that the
>>    compiler can fold, this /might/ work out as an optimization if the
>>    compiler can elide the error paths.
>>
>> * The alternatives code, since we call instrumentable and patchable
>>    functions between updating instructions and performing all the
>>    necessary maintenance. There are a number of cases within
>>    __apply_alternatives(), e.g.
>>
>>    - test_bit()
>>    - cpus_have_cap()
>>    - pr_info_once()
>>    - lm_alias()
>>    - alt_cb, if the callback is not marked as noinstr, or if it calls
>>      instrumentable code (e.g. from the insn framework).
>>    - clean_dcache_range_nopatch(), as read_sanitised_ftr_reg() and
>>      related code can be instrumented.
>>
>>    This might need some underlying rework elsewhere (e.g. in the
>>    cpufeature code, or atomics framework).
>>

> OK.
>
>> So on the kernel side, maybe a first step would be to try to headerize
> [...]

Sorry for the late reply. The last RFC for arm64 support in objtool is a
bit old because it was preferable to split things into smaller series.

I touched it much lately, so I'm picking it back up and will try to get
a git branch into shape on a recent mainline (a few things need fixing
since the last time I rebased it).

I'll update you once I have something at least usable/presentable.

Cheers,

--
Julien Thierry