On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 12:33:47PM +0000, Mark Rutland wrote: > On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 04:07:55PM -0600, Madhavan T. Venkataraman wrote: > > Hi all, > > > > My name is Madhavan Venkataraman. > > Hi Madhavan, > > > Microsoft is very interested in Live Patching support for ARM64. > > On behalf of Microsoft, I would like to contribute. > > > > I would like to get in touch with the people who are currently working > > in this area, find out what exactly they are working on and see if they > > could use an extra pair of eyes/hands with what they are working on. > > > > It looks like the most recent work in this area has been from the > > following folks: Also copying in Bill Wendling who has also expressed an interest in this. Not deleting context for his benefit. > > Mark Brown and Mark Rutland: > > Kernel changes to providing reliable stack traces. > > > > Julien Thierry: > > Providing ARM64 support in objtool. > > > > Torsten Duwe: > > Ftrace with regs. > > IIRC that's about right. I'm also trying to make arm64 patch-safe (more > on that below), and there's a long tail of work there for anyone > interested. > > > I apologize if I have missed anyone else who is working on Live Patching > > for ARM64. Do let me know. > > > > Is there any work I can help with? Any areas that need investigation, any code > > that needs to be written, any work that needs to be reviewed, any testing that > > needs to done? You folks are probably super busy and would not mind an extra > > hand. > > One general thing that I believe we'll need to do is to rework code to > be patch-safe (which implies being noinstr-safe too). For example, we'll > need to rework the instruction patching code such that this cannot end > up patching itself (or anything that has instrumented it) in an unsafe > way. > > Once we have objtool it should be possible to identify those cases > automatically. Currently I'm aware that we'll need to do something in at > least the following places: > > * The entry code -- I'm currently chipping away at this. > > * The insn framework (which is used by some patching code), since the > bulk of it lives in arch/arm64/kernel/insn.c and isn't marked noinstr. > > We can probably shift the bulk of the aarch64_insn_gen_*() and > aarch64_get_*() helpers into a header as __always_inline functions, > which would allow them to be used in noinstr code. As those are > typically invoked with a number of constant arguments that the > compiler can fold, this /might/ work out as an optimization if the > compiler can elide the error paths. > > * The alternatives code, since we call instrumentable and patchable > functions between updating instructions and performing all the > necessary maintenance. There are a number of cases within > __apply_alternatives(), e.g. > > - test_bit() > - cpus_have_cap() > - pr_info_once() > - lm_alias() > - alt_cb, if the callback is not marked as noinstr, or if it calls > instrumentable code (e.g. from the insn framework). > - clean_dcache_range_nopatch(), as read_sanitised_ftr_reg() and > related code can be instrumented. > > This might need some underlying rework elsewhere (e.g. in the > cpufeature code, or atomics framework). > > So on the kernel side, maybe a first step would be to try to headerize > the insn generation code as __always_inline, and see whether that looks > ok? With that out of the way it'd be a bit easier to rework patching > code depending on the insn framework. > > I'm not sure about the objtool side, so I'll leave that to Julien and co > to answer. > > Thanks, > Mark.